When you need a pair of tweezers, nothing else will do. There’s no other tool that works as well to pluck unwanted hair, extract a splinter, or remove a wayward tick from your arm.
We don’t think about them often, but tweezers are an important tool in our lives. Evidence shows that as far back as 3000 BC, people were attaching pieces of metal to form tweezers for a wide variety of uses, including lice removal, crafting, and plucking hairs.
Today, you’d be hard-pressed to find a household that doesn’t contain at least one pair of tweezers. A bad pair, though, can be just as bad as no tweezers as all. No matter how you angle them, you can’t get hold of that hair or that splinter, and the whole thing just becomes an exercise in frustration. Sometimes, a bad pair of tweezers can make things worse, as when it drives a splinter more deeply into the skin.
How do you know which tweezers are best? We recently reviewed dozens of them to determine the answer to that question. We looked at the different types of tips, the overall shape and size, the materials used to make them, the purpose of the design, and the cost.
We’ve identified Tweezer Guru Slanted Tweezers as our top pick. Made of durable stainless steel, these tweezers are great for most uses.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Tweezers
|Best Tweezers Overall||Tweezer Guru Slanted Tweezers||4.3|
|Best Pointed Tweezers||Majestic Bombay Surgical Tweezers||4.5|
|Best Budget Tweezers||New Style Slanted Tweezers||4.6|
|Best Easy-Grip Tweezers||Coco’s Closet Slant Tweezers||4.3|
|Best Tweezer Set||Antonki Precision Tweezer Set||4.6|
*Ratings are current at the time of publication and can change.
Best Tweezers Overall: Tweezer Guru Slanted Tweezers
Tweezer Guru Slanted Tweezers are made of quality, durable stainless steel with a precision tip that grips even the smallest hairs. Perfect for tweezing eyebrows and other facial hair, the sides are perfectly aligned and the tension calibrated to make it easy to grab every unwanted hair. You’ll enjoy smooth, flawless skin! You can also use these to remove ticks and splinters or add them to your first-aid kit for emergency purposes.
These tweezers are extremely popular. Reviewers like how they feel during use, and say that they are not awkward or annoying to hold. They also note that their very precise and pinch with a definite motion.
Tweezer Guru Slanted Tweezers Key Features:
- Made of quality, durable stainless steel
- Precision tip grabs even small hairs
- Calibrated tension makes pinching definite
- Perfect for tweezing brows or removing splinters and pieces of glass
- 60-day money-back guarantee
Best Pointed Tweezers: Majestic Bombay Surgical Tweezers
Majestic Bombay Surgical Tweezers are the ultimate tool for personal grooming or first aid, as the sharp pointed tip can get at even deeply embedded splinters and hairs. Made with super-strong, calibrated ends, they provide needle precision for wood splinters, ticks, and ingrown hairs. Groom your eyebrows, remove facial hairs, and get glass and metal out of the skin with an effortless movement that outperforms comparable tweezers.
To grasp an ingrown hair, simply press the tweezers against the skin at a low angle, then grip the small hair between the tips and pull out. For splinters that are completely embedded, disinfect the sharp point and then maneuver the tips over the affected area to grasp the foreign object. You can also lightly pierce the skin when needed. The surgical steel ends meet together perfectly, which makes it easier to grab the small objects you need to remove.
Reviewers love the quality of these tweezers, noting that they’re very precise and will not slide around or move out of position when you grip them.
Majestic Bombay Surgical Tweezers Key Features:
- Super strong precision tips
- Great for ingrown hairs and splinters
- Surgical steel ends meet together perfectly
- Easy to maneuver
- 100 percent money-back guarantee
Best Budget Tweezers: New Style Slanted Tweezers
New Style Slant Tweezers have tips perfectly aligned to seize even the smallest hairs, yet they come at a very reasonable price. Designed to fit perfectly into your hands, they’ve been calibrated to open just the right amount to make grasping easy, while the slanted tips work well for grabbing hairs and removing them without damaging the skin.
You can buy these for yourself or purchase them for friends and loved ones. They also work well for that extra pair of tweezers you may want in your travel bag, at the office, or in your purse. Made of high-quality stainless steel, they are built to last and will not rust.
Reviewers say these are great for eyebrow maintenance, plucking chin hairs, and grabbing larger splinters, as well as picking up small objects and holding screws. Many recommend buying a couple so you have one to carry with you.
New Style Slanted Tweezers Key Features:
- Made of high-quality stainless steel
- Nice all-around pair of tweezers for a reasonable price
- Good for hair removal
- Fits nicely in your hand
- 100 percent money-back guarantee
Best Easy-Grip Tweezers: Coco’s Closet Slant Tweezers
If you struggle to hang onto regular tweezers, choose the Coco’s Closet Slant Tweezers. They are more comfortable to hold than most because they have a silicone rubber no-slip wide grip positioned just where you need it to increase control. Places your thumb and finger on the grip and you’ll maintain a safer, more precise tweezing motion.
This set of tweezers has the popular slanted tips, custom slanted at 20 degrees for professional plucking and tweezing. You can use the more slanted side for general tweezing, then flip them over and use the higher, more pointed side for precision work. Use them to shape your eyebrows, remove splinters, dispatch ticks, and for most other common purposes.
Salon-tested, these tweezers are often used by estheticians for precise grooming. Made of quality stainless steel, they won’t need sharpening, giving you a handy, maintenance-free tool that you can use without worry for years.
Reviewers rave about how great these are for personal grooming, whether for eyebrows, beards, and goatees, or any other stray hairs. They also love the grip and say it makes it easier for senior citizens to use them.
Coco’s Closet Slant Tweezers Key Features:
- Made of high-quality stainless steel
- Silicone rubber no-slip grip
- Slanted so you can use them for general or precision tweezing
- Tested by estheticians for close grooming
- Never needs sharpening
Best Tweezer Set: Antonki Precision Tweezer Set
The Antonki Precision Tweezer Set gives you every tweezer you may ever need around the house. Use them for personal grooming, soldering, jewelry work, watch and electronics repair, crafting, and anything else you can think of. Made of strong, rustproof stainless steel with an anti-static coating, they all have strong grip tips that come with their own plastic covers for safety.
Included in this set are:
- 7 straight-tipped tweezers, including pointed, flat, and paddle shapes
- 1 slanted
- 3 curved tweezers for picking up little parts from small operating spaces
- 1 clip head for blackhead removal and ingrown hair extracting
You also get a useful carrying case in which to store and transport all these tweezers. The case has a couple of loops on it you can use for hanging on the wall or a doorknob. Reviewers praise the sharp tips, wide variety, handy case, and versatility.
Antonki Precision Tweezer Set Key Features:
- Set of 12 different tweezers
- Includes a variety of tip shapes and sizes
- Use for grooming, watch and jewelry repair, crafting, and soldering
- Comes with a handy carrying case
- 5-year worry-free warranty
Who Should Buy Tweezers
Tweezers can be used for a variety of purposes. Perhaps the most common is to pluck out unwanted hairs. Also called “tweezing,” this sort of plucking involves using the tweezers to remove hairs one by one, such as from the eyebrows or upper lip. Pulling a hair out this way pulls the entire follicle from the root, and the results can last for up to six weeks before the hair grows back.
Tweezers are also commonly used to remove unwanted items from the skin. Splinters, for example, that are too small to be grasped by the fingers can usually be gripped and removed by a pair of tweezers. It’s also recommended that ticks be removed with a pair of tweezers placed as close to the skin’s surface as possible and pulled upward in a steady motion.
Indeed, the uses for tweezers are endless and limited only by your imagination. They are a staple in most makeup bags, used to apply false eyelashes, add rhinestones or other decorative items to manicures, and of course, to tweeze eyebrows. Crafters love them for managing small details such as gluing tiny decorations and felt pieces, and tech types swear by them for salvaging components from circuit boards.
Around the house, tweezers are a helpful tool. They can be used to remove coin cell batteries from toys and other battery-operated items, peel double-sided tape, untangle jewelry chains, manipulate electronic parts, tighten loose screws on glasses, and even to help thread a needle. No first-aid kit is complete without tweezers, which can remove all sorts of things from the skin, including splinters, thorns, pieces of glass, and cactus spines.
If you’re looking to get a few more uses out of your tweezers, you may want to consider The Best Eyelash Extensions.
Important Features to Consider
When shopping for tweezers, consider the following features:
- The type of tip. The tip is the most important thing to look at when purchasing a pair of tweezers. There are a variety of tips to choose from, and they are all designed for different purposes. What will you be using the tweezers for most of the time? Keep that in mind when choosing which ones to buy.
- The overall size. The standard pair of tweezers is about 2.5 to 3 inches long, but the size can vary in terms of length and width. Travel sizes tend to be smaller so they fit easily into a makeup bag or first-aid kit. Some tweezers are designed to be a little larger so those with mobility issues can handle them.
- What the tweezers are made of. Most tweezers are made of some type of metal—often stainless steel—but some are made of plastic or ceramic, or have a plastic coating. These can be useful when working with electronics or when preferring a different type of grip.
- The tension. How much tension is there between the two sides of the tweezers? You need enough that you can grip what you’re trying to remove, but not so much that the tweezers are difficult to use. You’re going to be opening and closing the tweezers over and over again, so this may be a feature you want to test before buying.
- The grip. How do the tweezers feel in your hand? This can make the difference between whether you’re able to control them or not. The easier they are to hold and maneuver, the faster you can get the job done. Some have a circle shape, for example, toward the tip, which fits nicely between fingers and can provide greater accuracy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are different tweezers for?
As noted above, tweezers have a wide variety of uses:
- The classic slant-tip tweezer is made for tweezing hairs and can be used for applying false lashes.
- Point-tip tweezers are perfect for plucking thin and short hairs and for removing splinters, but they are often very sharp and should be used with caution.
- Pointed-slant tweezers combine the above two designs and provide precision in shaping brows. They can also grab ingrown hairs and splinters.
- Round-tip tweezers are the safest to use, but they aren’t as precise and can grab many hairs at once.
- Flat-tipped tweezers aren’t good for plucking, but they work well for applying false lashes or maneuvering other small items.
- Arched-claw tweezers have a claw-like design in the two pieces of metal so you can better see what you’re grasping.
- Wide-grip tweezers work well for people who struggle to grip small items, such as those with arthritis or other mobility issues.
What are tweezers made of?
Today’s tweezers are most often made of stainless steel, which makes them durable, long-lasting, and resistant to rust and corrosion. Some are then coated with other coverings, such as colored plastic, that help improves the grip or adds to the appearance. Others may be made of ceramic or plastic, and are designed to be non-conductive and safe for use on electronics.
Do tweezers remove hair permanently?
Repeated tweezing of hairs can sometimes damage the hair follicle, after which the hair may not grow anymore. Generally, however, tweezing is not considered a form of permanent hair removal. In most cases, the hair will eventually grow back.
How do you maintain tweezers?
You can easily clean most tweezers with soap and water. If you want to disinfect them, you can dip them in a 70 percent rubbing alcohol solution, pour a little rubbing alcohol over them, or wipe them down with a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol.
Your tweezers may need sharpening now and then to maintain the sharpness of the tip. If you notice that your tweezers aren’t working as well as they did, or if you’re having trouble gripping a stray hair, it may be time to sharpen them.
An easy way to do this at home is to use an emery board. Make sure that it’s fairly new and has enough of a “grip” on the surface to do the job. Simply grasp the emery board with your tweezers and quickly pull the board away. Repeat this movement in different directions to make sure the tips are evenly sharpened. If you don’t have an emery board, you can also use sandpaper in the same way.
Other Tweezers We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other tweezers. Even though they didn’t make our 5 tweezers list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for all your gripping and tweezing needs. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Made with surgical grade stainless steel, these tweezers are acid-proof and rust-proof with precision aligned tips and calibrated arm tension.
- Built to last
- Comes with a bonus tip guard
- Great for defining eyebrows, plucking chin hair, and removing splinters
Available in a variety of colors, these tweezers have hand-filed tips and are perfectly aligned to grab each hair every time. Made of stainless steel with a baked enamel finish.
- Available in a variety of colors, including charcoal, neon pink, and signature red
- Hand-filed tips
- Stainless steel with a baked enamel finish
Made of the finest premium surgical grade stainless steel, these are highly durable and easy to clean. Their modern, sleek, and lightweight design makes them perfect as gifts for friends and loved ones.
- Made of high-quality surgical grade stainless steel
- Ultra-strong grip
- Easy to clean
Also made of stainless steel, these tweezers have a matte finish for a non-slip grip and are perfectly aligned for precision work. Great for all your grooming needs.
- Non-slip grip
- Precision tips perfect for grooming
- Matte finish
The perfectly aligned tips on these tweezers are designed for seamless removal of ingrown hairs, splinters, and blackheads. Calibrated tension also gives you more control when eyebrow tweezing.
- Perfectly aligned tips designed for ingrown hairs and splinters
- Stainless steel is durable and easy to clean
- Great for precision eyebrow grooming
The pointy tip on these tweezers is finely tapered and ideal for precision tweezing. Use on stubble, ingrown hairs, eyebrows, facial hair, and blackheads.
- Made of 100 percent stainless steel
- Super sharp and durable
- Perfectly aligned tips for seamless removal of troublesome hair and splinters
If you have a hard time seeing what you’re tweezing, these tweezers may be perfect for you. They come with a built-in LED light you can turn on and off with the press of a button.
- Comes with a convenient LED light
- Easy to hold with great fingertip control
- Perfectly aligned slanted tips
Give these as a fun gift to friends and loved ones. They not only come with a built-in LED light, but they also have rubber-like comfort grips that make them easy to hold and maneuver.
- Available with three different-colored grips
- Built-in LED light makes it easier to see what you’re working on
- Made of durable stainless steel
Cost: $12 for a set of 3
These precision tweezers come with a built-in LED light to facilitate precision grooming, plus you get a handy carrying case ideal for use when traveling.
- Built-in LED light and rubber-like grip
- Uniquely designed and shaped to be easy to hold and manipulate
- Comes with handy carrying case
Wide Grip Tweezers
An ergonomically friendly pair of tweezers, these have a wide, cushioned pad for improved grip and comfort with finely ground, perfectly aligned tips for accurate tweezing.
- Versatile slant tip ideal for general tweezing
- Wide, cushioned pad improves grip and comfort
- Made of rust-proof stainless steel
Made in Italy, these tweezers also have a wide, cushioned grip to make them easier to maneuver without slipping or cutting. Perfectly aligned, thin slanted tips make tweezing and grasping a breeze.
- Wide, cushioned grip for ease of use
- Thin, slanted tips make it easy to grasp hair and splinters
- Guaranteed for life
These unique tweezers are designed with a round, donut-hole like shape in the middle that’s perfect for fingers to grip. They’re perfect for those with arthritis and other mobility issues.
- Unique donut-shaped design makes these easy to handle
- Perfectly aligned, hand-filed slanted tips for precision tweezing
- Made of stainless steel
Enjoy this 4-pack of stainless steel tweezers that allow for precision removal of eyebrow and facial hair without scarring skin. Includes three tweezers with slanted tips and one with a pointed tip.
- Set of four personal-grooming tweezers
- Stainless steel tips allow precision hair removal
- Comes with handy storage and carrying case
Cost: $15 for a set of 4
This four-pack of tweezers contains a pair of classic, slant, pointed, and pointed/slant tweezers, all made of surgical stainless steel. Comes with a stylish case that’s perfect for gifting or travel.
- Set of four tweezers with slanted and pointed tips
- Perfectly calibrated tension designed to remove ingrown hairs and splinters
- The stylish carrying case is perfect for gifting or travel
This set of four tweezers is designed for long-lasting performance and comes with a leather package. Comes with a 100 percent money-back guarantee.
- Set of four tweezers with slanted and pointed tips
- Designed for long-lasting performance
- Comes with a leather storage pouch
This multifunctional tweezer set is made to cover all your tweezing needs, from removing hairs to pulling splinters to managing false eyelashes. You can even use them for jewelry-making and laboratory work.
- Engineered with precision aligned tips and calibrated arm tension
- Different tips and styles to meet all your tweezing needs
- Comes with a leather pouch and silicone tip covers
Designed specifically for creating smoother, clearer skin, these precision tweezers have perfectly aligned tips for seamless removal of small hairs, ingrown hairs, and splinters. Great for precision eyebrow grooming.
- Set of two slant-tip tweezers, one black and one blue
- Perfectly aligned tips great for precision eyebrow grooming
- Stainless steel slant tips are durable and easy to clean
This set of four tweezers is similar to the other four-piece sets listed here but is designed specifically for personal grooming. It contains one slanted-head tweezer, one pimple popper pointed tweezer, one straight-head tweezer, and one pointed-slant tweezer.
- Designed for personal grooming
- Durable and long-lasting
- Perfectly calibrated tension offers ultimate control
Designed specifically for applying and removing eyelash extensions, this set includes one straight and two curved tweezers. Tweezer caps protect the tips when not in use.
- Designed specifically for applying and removing eyelash extensions
- Durable and sturdy and easy to clean
- Comes with a storage pouch and tweezer caps
Made of ceramic, these tweezers are designed to be non-conductive and heat resistant, so they’re perfect for use on hot coils or electronic circuits. Ceramic tips are smooth, solid, and anti-magnetic.
- Designed specifically for use on electronic circuits
- Ceramic tips are non-conductive & heat resistant
- Also great for soldering, mechanics, and more