We sip with them, we kiss with them, we angle them with precision to create modest little grins. With with the appropriate balm, gloss, stain, or stick, your lips could make an onlooker weak at their knees. When it comes to beauty products for the eyelashes, nails, and lips, you probably want it all: shine, color, plumpness, staying power, and affordable prices.
Finding quality beauty products isn’t easy. There are countless options, from newcomer and classic brands alike, so it’s impossible to try them all. We’ve reviewed dozens of lipsticks to identify the best of the best, weighing factors like shades available, how long they last before you need to reapply, whether they’re smudgeproof, and how easy they are to remove at the end of the day.
Right from the beginning, the Lime Crime Velvetines Liquid Matte Lipstick stood out as the clear winner. This product is created to bring out the best in everyone’s lips, all thanks to its bold and opaque style. This lip stain also boasts a ground-breaking formula that’s long-wearing, transfer-proof, touch-proof, and totally addictive.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Lipsticks
|Best Overall||Lime Crime Velvetines Liquid Matte Black Velvet Lipstick||4.2|
|Runner Up||Revlon ColorStay Overtime Lipcolor||4.2|
|Best Budget Buy||Maybelline Superstay Liquid Lipstick||4.0|
|Best Long Lasting Lipstick||theBalm Meet Matt(e) Hughes Liquid Lipstick||4.2|
|Best Smudge Proof Lipstick||Niceface Matte Lipstick Set||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Lime Crime Velvetines Liquid Matte Lipstick
When it comes to the beauty niche, the Lime Crime Velvetines Liquid Matte Lipstick is a top contender. Richly pigmented, this bold, smooth lipstick is the best way to express your personality. And besides the powerful color payoff, the rich pigmented concentrations glide on your lips as a liquid before settling into a luxurious, matte finish that will last all day.
And if you prefer the unapologetic style, this is the lipstick to wear. Lime Crime is a color revolution committed to creating incredible, true-to-color, and cruelty-free products. You don’t have to worry about sipping coffee or kissing anyone in the course of your day, because this long-wearing lipstick won’t fade or smudge. Created by makeup visionary Doe Deere, this product is manufactured at the heart of Los Angeles with the perfect blend of quality formulas and globally sourced ingredients.
What’s more interesting is that you’ll love how easy this lipstick is to apply. Start by exfoliating and moisturizing your lips for about 15 minutes. Do the rest of your makeup, then wipe off the excess lip balm from your lips. Using a thin layer of Velvetines, begin at the center and work towards the lip corners. Don’t use too many layers or the lipstick won’t dry properly, which will lessen its staying power throughout the day. Reviewers love that this lipstick lasts all day without leaving a sticky feeling on your lips, and they say it doesn’t fade, flake, or dry out their lips like many other lipsticks do. There are also a variety of shades available, from nudes to deep reds, bronze shades, and even metallic finishes.
Lime Crime Velvetines Liquid Matte Black Velvet Lipstick Key Features:
- 100% vegan, cruelty-free formulas
- Touch-proof, transfer-proof, and long lasting
- Uses globally-sourced ingredients
Our Runner Up Pick: Revlon ColorStay Overtime Lipcolor
If you often ink your lips with a flawless glossy finish, the Revlon ColorStay Overtime Lipcolor is a good choice to try. Available in 24 shades, this lipstick is just as good as other higher-end brands in terms of coverage, comfort, and color payoff.
This product offers full coverage color and shine to your lips for close to 16 hours without the need for extra touch-ups along the way. Even for first timers, this creamy formula glides on lips easily and smoothly with comfortable all-day wear. This dual-ended product is enriched with soy and chamomile to deliver soft and moisturized lips.
Its color-lock technology also ensures that the shade never bleeds, feathers, or fades when drinking and eating. This lipstick is a favorite for fashionable women because it is incredibly easy to use. Start by applying the lip color evenly to clean bare lips, wait until it’s dry, and then brush a moisturizing topcoat over the shade.
Revlon ColorStay Overtime Lipcolor Key Features:
- Conditioning top coat that contains 99% moisturizing ingredients
- Enriched with soy and chamomile extracts
- Comes in 24 shades
Best Budget Pick: Maybelline Superstay Liquid Lipstick
Want an all-day lip color that works overtime and at an affordable price? The Maybelline Superstay Liquid Lipstick is a great choice if you’re on a budget but don’t want to sacrifice flawless lips. Available in an array of shades, from vivid brick and saturated reds to burnt sienna and terracotta hues, this liquid lipstick boasts up to 16 hours of wear. Better yet, the smooth, matte finish, long-lasting wear, and highly-pigmented color all work together to deliver a flawless look that lasts.
If you like precision when applying lipstick, you can’t go wrong with Maybelline Superstay Liquid Lipstick thanks to its unique arrow tip for precise application. Once you put it on and it dries, it’s not going anywhere for the better part of your day. Offered in 30 shades, we’re sure you’ll fall in love with at least one.
The formula is everything you’d expect from a matte liquid lipstick, offering a serious punch of pigment from the first application. It also dries evenly and quickly, with minimal transfer. This shade wears well, even when eating and drinking, and for the price, it’s definitely worth a try.
Maybelline Superstay Liquid Lipstick Key Features:
- Unique arrow tip for precise lipstick application
- Highly-pigmented color
- Comes with a range of 30 shades
Best Long Lasting Lipstick: theBalm Meet Matt(e) Hughes Liquid Lipstick
Your search for a truly long-lasting lipstick ends here. theBalm Meet Matt(e) Hughes Liquid Lipstick is perfect for day or night wear – or both. Coming from a brand that boasts a long line of beauty products, this is a lip color you can trust. If you enjoy experimenting with different lip colors, this lipstick comes with twelve dreamy shades. theBalm Meet Matt(e) Hughes Liquid Lipstick delivers a matte finish.
Each shade is fluid and applies smoothly without being too runny and without bleeding after hours of wear. It dries in a few seconds and will leave your lips feeling comfortable and ready for the day. If you’re looking to invest in a long-lasting formula that is ready to commit to your beauty goals, then this is the lipstick to consider. The highly-pigmented shades will make you look truly bold and confident.
If you’re always on the go, this 0.3-ounce product is easy to slip in your pocket or handbags for retouches later in the day – though we doubt you’ll need to. Although this lipstick doesn’t taste like anything, it has a minty candy-like scent that smells divine. Looking for a high-quality liquid matte with staying power and incredible color pigmentation that doesn’t flake or leave your lips feeling dry? This is the lipstick to try.
theBalm Meet Matt(e) Hughes Liquid Lipstick Key Features:
- Comes with twelve dreamy shades
- Long-wearing formula
- Colors are vibrant, wearable and transfer proof
Best Smudgeproof Lipstick: Niceface Matte Lipstick Set
If you hate the sight of lipstick smudges on cups, napkins, or on your significant other’s face, then the Niceface Matte Lipstick Set is worth a try. Across the board, all shades apply smoothly and are entirely opaque. What sets this lipstick apart from others above is that it is really long-wearing and smudge proof. You get a set of eight shades that are great on their own, but you can also blend two or more shades to create a unique, custom color that perfectly compliments your skin tone – or your mood.
This product wins the hearts of many for being a highly pigmented liquid that perfectly demonstrates the velvet matte effect. If staying on your lips all day doesn’t excite you yet, then you will enjoy the fact that the matte finish leaves your lips looking healthy and moisturized. And, the set comes with a free tube of makeup remover so you can easily remove your lipstick at the end of the day.
Niceface Matte Lipstick Set Key Features:
- Highly pigmented liquid lipstick
- Non-sticky and smudge-proof
- Eight shades that all apply smoothly
Who Should Buy Lipstick
Let’s just make one beauty declaration: life is too short to live without the lip shade you love. Anyone who often does their makeup should buy lipstick. Sure, you might own a tube of lip balm, but that doesn’t last all day. leaving you to reapply frequently, which can be awkward and inconvenient.
If you love everything beauty, from skin care to manicures and everything in between, the right shade of lipstick is the perfect finish to any look. Besides enhancing your beauty, wearing a lip shade that compliments your skin tone and your overall style is a great confidence-booster, too.
Important Features to Consider
It’s easy to swipe your favorite lip shade across your lips for a confidence boost. However, if you’re looking for a new shade or finish – or maybe your favorite lipstick has been discontinued so you’re on the lookout for your new favorite – there’s more to choosing the right lipstick than just grabbing a shade that looks great on your screen or on the shelf. Here are a few important features to consider when selecting the best lipstick.
- Ingredients. You should always check the ingredients of any lipstick before buying. If you have any allergies, it becomes even more crucial that you verify the ingredients of your product to avoid unwanted reactions and side effects. According to research, women swallow close to 5 pounds of lipstick in their lifetime, so you want to be sure that the lipstick you’ll be swiping on your lips is generally safe and doesn’t contain any ingredients that you’re trying to avoid. For instance, some people avoid makeup that contains parabens, a common ingredient found in lipstick, and some lipsticks contain ingredients like vitamin E acetate, which can cause irritation such as itching and burning for some people.
- Type and finish. There are dozens of lipstick finishes and types available, from cream to shimmer, matte, gloss, satin, and more. If necessary, take time to familiarize yourself about the qualities of each type and decide what best suits your needs. Other popular types of lipsticks include long-lasting lipsticks, lip stains, and moisturizing lipsticks. You might wear different finishes or use a different type of lipstick depending on the occasion or the look you’re going for.
- Styles of applicators. With the numerous lipstick brands on the market, there are obviously different styles of applicators as well. Some come in the form of a pencil with a pointed tip which makes it incredibly easy to apply. Standard lipsticks come in lipstick tubes or sticks that are used directly on the lips, although many women choose to use brushes or fingertips to apply this type of lipstick. Most liquid lipsticks come inside a thin tube that contains a sponge-like tip for easy application. There are also other types that you squeeze onto your lips right from the tube’s tip.
- Shade. You won’t be pleased with your purchase if you end up with a lipstick shade that clashes with your skin tone. People with cooler skin undertones typically look good wearing bright shades, while those with warmer skin tones should be cautious while selecting brighter hues. Knowing your skin tone makes it easier for you to choose shades that are most flattering.
- Shelf life. Typically, most lipsticks are good for 12 to 18 months. If you’re going to wear a lipstick only occasionally, store it away from heat – even in the refrigerator – to prevent the breakdown of ingredients. If your lipstick starts to develop beads of moisture or has a chalky texture or an odd smell, it’s time to toss it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should we apply before lipstick?
Before wearing lipstick, you should scrub your lips; otherwise, the lipstick will only highlight any flaws and cracks. This way, you will slough off the dead skin before applying your lipstick. You should also apply a moisturizer before your lipstick so that your lips won’t dry out fast. Moisturized lips also ensures that your lipstick will go on smoothly and easily. You could apply a natural oil – like coconut or almond oil – or use a nourishing lip balm.
Do you line your lips before or after lipstick?
While many people argue that this depends on your lip type, the truth is that you should apply a lip liner before lipstick. Since most lipsticks are highly pigmented, it could be difficult to remove it and reapply without staining or irritating the skin, so you want to get everything right with the first try. Lining your lips before applying lipstick ensures that you have lines to “fill in.” A regular liner or brow pencil would do the trick, though the latter works best when you want to softly define your lips.
Can you wear lipstick without lip liner?
Whether you’ve forgotten or misplaced your coveted lip liner, you don’t need to worry, because you can wear lipstick without lip liner. You could try using your lipstick as the liner by drawing a thin line with a cotton swab or brush before filling in your lips with color. Your foundation could also come in as a substitute for your lip liner.
How long does it take to use up a lipstick?
Many people often have too large a collection of lipstick that they never use up any tube. Assuming that you apply your lipstick two to three times in a day, your shade will be used up slightly past the three-month mark, on average. That’s if you wear your signature shade daily, of course.
Other Lipsticks We Reviewed
We reviewed 20 other lipsticks. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best lipsticks, they are the best of the rest and each is still a great option for anyone on the search for a new fabulous lip look. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Waterproof Lipsticks
- Liquid Lipsticks
- Natural Lipsticks
This naturally healthy, light strawberry flavored lipstick comes in 16 shades, so you can easily layer or mix a few to get a different shade.
- Light strawberry taste
- Dries matte almost immediately
- Durable and fade-resistant
This liquid chocolate flavored lipstick is waterproof, long lasting, and doesn’t leave a sticky finish. It comes in 16 shades which are highly pigmented and apply smoothly. And when they dry, they won’t leave your lips entirely dried out.
- 16 waterproof colors
- Easy to remove with cleansing oil
- Sweet chocolate smell
This highly pigmented lip gloss comes in both soft and vibrant shades with easy-to-apply matte finishes that are smudge-proof and non-sticky. Plus, it removes completely without leaving stain marks behind.
- Water-infused, creamy, and silky texture
- Special vegan formula for super velvet lips
- Warm and soft matte textures for a sexy all-day feel
If you’re looking for the best combination of long-lasting and waterproof lip color, then this is the lipstick to buy.
- Vivid color effects on your lips
- Non-stick on cup
Moisture-rich, vitamin-infused, and silk-drenched, this beauty lipstick provides radiant and lightweight color with an incredibly moisturizing shine. The glossy, irresistible shades let you create exclusive elegance at any time of the day for flawless and healthy glowing lips.
- Infused with natural beeswax
- Intense hydration lip moisturizer
- The stick comes in an ergonomic design
This lipstick is suitable for ladies who are always on the go. Whether you go swimming or sweat a lot, this lipstick battles it all. Its formula of natural ingredients creates a moisturizing effect for a beautiful matte finish.
- Contains beeswax, vitamin E, and vegetable oil
- Won’t dry out your lips
- Natural ingredients
This silky, exquisite, and elegant lipstick set gives you options suitable for all seasons. This easy-to-paint lip gloss goes on as a highly-pigmented liquid and dries to a smooth matte finish.
- 6 colors to suit your daily makeup needs
- Gift box packaging
- Infused with vegetable oil, beeswax, vitamin E, and other natural ingredients
This natural, intensely pigmented liquid lipstick comes in a flushed petal shade with a pinkish undertone coupled with a deep rose hue for the best lip color payoff. Besides, it delivers all-day moisture as well as a comfortable wear for a soft, kissable look.
- Formulated with conditioning shea butter, Babassu, and Apricot oil
- 100% natural
- Comes in 12 naturally flattering shades
Infused with natural comfort-boosting ingredients, this long-lasting lipstick glides over your lips like gloss and eventually dries to an ultimate matte finish.
- Color-rich formula
- Natural ingredients like sunflower seed and vitamin E
- Not heavy or drying
This full coverage lipstick boasts up to 16 hours of wear in addition to a unique pro-sculpt applicator that makes it easy for you to add dimensions, an outline, and shape to your lips.
- Intense high pigment 12 ultra-matte shades
- Comes with a pro-sculpt applicator
- Full-coverage liquid lipstick
This convenient, beautiful lip color set comes in six wonderful colors and is easy to carry around. It dries quickly after application, and you will obviously love the chocolate smell.
- Non-stick on cup
- Dries with a matte effect
- Great packaging
Straddling the line between lip gloss and lipstick, this creamy, lustrous formula applies easily for a soft matte finish that exudes a sensual glow. This product is on the same level as other luxury brands in terms of quality, yet it’s incredibly affordable.
- Creamy formula
- Unique innovative texture
- Pleasant smell
- Completely opaque
Look elegant with a product that’s beautiful, smudge-proof and that doesn’t require a topcoat. It goes on easily, appears natural, and stays in place for hours even while drinking or eating.
- 12 full-coverage satin shades
- Comfortable wear and doesn’t require a top coat
- Lasts for close to 24 hours
This great all-day matte lipstick delivers intense moisture coupled with bold, long-lasting color that remains in place for more than six hours. The texture isn’t just weightless on the lips but also offers great comfort with a color-rich composition that won’t transfer or bleed.
- Enriched with avocado oil and vitamin E
- Full-coverage liquid lipstick
- Comes in 10 shades
Enhance your lip color by wearing the Blush Basin shade – a full-coverage natural lipstick infused with moisturizing ingredients like vitamin E, beeswax, raspberry seed oil, and moringa oil that will soothe and condition your lips.
- 100% natural lip color
- Contains nourishing Vitamin E and Beeswax
- Formulated without synthetic fragrances
This plant-based lipstick is formulated to glide on creamy, not greasy or dry. It is a clean, safe product that resists chipping, flaking, and feathering.
- Colors are infused with protective flower wax
- Shades are paraben-free, fragrance-free, and gluten-free
- Made in the USA
This pretty pout lip color is filled with sesame oil, jojoba seed oil, candelilla wax, and other natural, vegan and mineral compounds for moist and great-looking lips.
- Naturally sourced ingredients
- 100% vegan
- Lead and Carmine free
This all-natural and organic product will hydrate and moisturize your lips while rewarding you with antioxidants through its certified botanical and plant-based ingredients.
- Armed with plant extracts and essential vitamins
- Variety of vibrant colors
- Certified organic ingredients
Make a statement of confidence by choosing from 40 different lip shades ranging from radiant reds, passionate purples, and pretty pinks that will last all day.
- Excellent pigmentation
- Never tested on animals
- Infused with vitamins A and C
EVXO’s organic lipstick is free of preservatives and is filled with all-natural ingredients that will hydrate your lips with healthy regenerative properties for improved elasticity and fast healing of dry lips.
- Natural sun protection
- Made in the USA
- Made with cocoa, mango, and capuacu butter