Eczema can be quite a hassle for many people. It is estimated that over 35 million Americans suffer from it, with 10-20% of them being children. The skin condition, also known as atopic dermatitis is something that can affect even children. The condition makes skin dry, red and itchy. Overall, it can be a highly uncomfortable condition to live with. For some, it can be mild, while others can have more severe cases of eczema.
While there is no cure for eczema, there are plenty of preventative methods and most importantly, products to help when eczema flares up. From lotions to salves and creams, there are plenty of different products on the market that will help to soothe and calm skin during a flare-up, easing itchiness and irritation. We scoured the internet and have reviewed the best of the best eczema creams to find which ones that work the best.
After looking for the best product for eczema, we have found that Honeyskin Face and Body Cream as the top product. With its incredible moisturizing power, it can soothe even the most irritated skin. This cream is completely free of any harmful chemicals, as well as being free of parabens, allergens, and fragrances. Those with even the most sensitive skin can use this to soothe eczema symptoms.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Eczema Creams
The 5 Top-Rated Eczema Creams
|Honeyskin Face and Body Cream
|Aveeno Eczema Therapy
|Best Budget Buy
|MG217 Eczema Body Cream
|Best Cream For Kids/Babies
|Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy
|Gold Bond Eczema Relief
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Honeyskin Face and Body Cream
With over 2,000 reviews, Honeyskin Face and Body Cream is the clear winner when it comes to eczema relief. With deep penetrating moisturizing ingredients, this cream is a great option for soothing itchiness and redness due to an eczema flare up. This is a cream that you can turn to when you have tried everything else. It calms the skin without stressing it out.
Not only does this cream work wonderfully for those living with eczema, but it works just as well on other skin conditions like dermatitis, psoriasis, shingles, rosacea and more. It even works for other skin issues like stretch marks, acne, sun spots, and oily skin. Even if you just use it for dry skin in general, it is a top product and definitely worth a look.
Created with all-natural organic ingredients, even someone with extremely sensitive skin could use this cream. No harsh chemicals are used in this cream. It even works on children’s skin. It is a cream that nourishes your skin while it moisturizes it at the same time. With ingredients like Manuka honey, aloe vera and cocoa butter, you can be certain that your skin is getting the best treatment possible when using this cream.
Honeyskin Face and Body Cream Key Features:
- Non-greasy and unscented formula
- 5.5 pH to match skin
- Balances skin for a radiant glow
Our Runner Up Pick: Aveeno Eczema Therapy Cream
With a special ingredient of soothing colloidal oatmeal, Aveeno Eczema Therapy Cream is a great product that is made especially to soothe your eczema symptoms. It comes highly recommended by dermatologists, and even has the National Eczema Association’s Seal of Approval. Over and over it has been shown to reduce redness, itchiness, irritation and dry skin.
Oatmeal baths have long been found to help with a plethora of skin conditions, including eczema. Oat helps to help your skin form a barrier to lock moisture in and keep it there. It also is able to help to restore the body’s natural pH balance. Aveeno has harnessed the power of oatmeal within their therapy cream. Not only does it help to reduce the symptoms of eczema, but it can also keep your skin moisturized to avoid dryness. It is even safe for daily use.
The company has created its very own special oat milling process, so this is not a product made with just regular old oatmeal. It is ground finely enough that it is able to keep dryness out while keeping moisture in. This lotion is completely steroid-free and is even safe for use on children. Many happy consumers shared just how much this lotion has helped to relieve their eczema symptoms.
Aveeno Eczema Therapy Cream Key Features:
- Completely fragrance-free
- Created with dermatologists
- Also contains ceramide
Best Budget Pick: MG217 Eczema Body Cream
This is another great product that contains oatmeal as an active ingredient. MG217 Eczema Body Cream is a great choice for those looking to treat their eczema symptoms. Their formula was created to treat the whole gamut of eczema symptoms, including cracked skin and rough skin. Do not let the price tag fool you. Despite the modest price of the product, it is actually a great choice for those living with eczema and are looking to specialty creams for relief.
This product contains SalSphere™ Skin Repair Complex. It is a highly-specialized formulation that is able to help to restore your skin to its natural state, moisturized and healthy. It is another eczema cream that has been granted the National Eczema Foundations Seal of Acceptance, so you know that you are getting a great product.
Not only does it treat eczema well, but it can also help to treat dermatitis and rashes. It has all-day soothing properties, so you can go out feeling confident and comfortable. It is formulated to help create healthier skin as a whole. Many customers have said this cream works wonders with their skin conditions. With this cream, you can soothe your skin, without having to break the bank.
MG217 Eczema Body Cream Key Features:
- Non-stinging formula
- Fragrance and steroid free
- Contains no parabens
Best Eczema Cream For Babies/Kids: Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy
If you have a child living with eczema, there are products out there that can help soothe their red, itchy and tender skin. Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy is a top-notch choice when it comes to treating baby and children’s delicate skin. Little ones can certainly inherit a lot from parents. Besides things like eye and hair color, they can also inherit things like skin problems and allergies, as well. Eczema can show up in even the youngest of children, sometimes appearing at just two months old.
This eczema cream has been recommended by pediatricians for over sixty years and counting. When it comes to infant’s and children’s skin, this formulation is perfect for relieving the skin rash, scaliness, and irritation that comes with living with eczema. The gentle formula has been created with oats, which have long had skin-moisturizing power.
It has been proven to be very effective, yet still quite gentle in helping little ones with skin issues. Coming highly recommended by dermatologists, it is made to alleviate the agitating skin symptoms of eczema, so that kids can be kids, without having to worry about their skin. Parents will like the gentle, non-steroidal formula that was created just for their child’s sensitive skin.
Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Cream Key Features:
- NEA Accepted
- No fragrance
- Conditions skin
- Safe for everyday use
Best Eczema Lotion: Gold Bond Eczema Relief
When you are looking for relief of your eczema symptoms, and are on the lookout for an exceptional product, look no further than Gold Bond Eczema Relief. This lotion is specially formulated with 2% colloidal oatmeal, 7 moisturizers, and 3 vitamins. It comes highly recommended for those living with eczema. Soothing relief is within reach. This lotion is not greasy and goes on smooth and easy.
It is an accepted lotion of the National Eczema Association, meaning that you are getting a high-quality, well-recommended product. This particular lotion is very popular among the population living with eczema. Consumers are quite happy with it, as they have said that it has helped their symptoms dissipate greatly. When this lotion is massaged into the skin, it creates a barrier, keeping moisture in and itchiness and redness out.
The lotion itself is completely odorless, so you don’t have to worry about any overbearing scents. It is safe to use every day, or even just whenever you feel dry skin coming on. Consumers have also found that their symptoms have even disappeared while using this lotion. When it is time to look for a lotion to treat eczema, this product is one that is certainly the “gold standard.”
Gold Bond Eczema Relief Key Features:
- Created with 7 moisturizers and 3 vitamins
- Dermatologist tested
Who Should Buy Eczema Cream
Those who are living with the awful symptoms of eczema, like dry and rough skin, redness and itchiness should certainly look into purchasing an eczema cream. It can take a bit of trial and error to find which eczema cream will work for you and your specific skin type. However, there are quite a number of different eczema creams that are on the market that are readily available to try, including formulas for those living with sensitive skin.
Even if you do not have a skin condition, some might opt to purchase eczema cream because of its ability to lock in moisture and create a barrier to keep moisture in. It can be quite helpful for even plain dry skin. If a child has eczema, there are many lotions that are developed especially with babies and children in mind, with mild, but still powerful ingredients to help soothe their delicate skin.
Important Features To Consider
Eczema should be able to soothe symptoms and provide relief. Here’s what to consider when selecting an eczema cream.
- Ingredients. Ingredients are one of the most very important things to consider when purchasing a cream to help lessen the symptoms of eczema. It is imperative to take a good hard look at what is in the lotion that you are thinking about purchasing. Some creams can have harsh chemicals in them, that may just aggravate skin more. Most creams for treating eczema do not have this, but a hard look must be taken at the list of what is used to make it. Things to avoid include parabens and steroids in a cream. If you have eczema on your face, be cautious about the ingredients in your makeup, too. Look for options that contain Shea butter and other moisturizing ingredients. (If you’re looking for some great makeup, check out our review of the best makeup kits – but be sure to evaluate the ingredients before you try anything new.)
- Moisturizing quality. When it comes to treating eczema, moisture is essential for the dry, scaly and cracked skin that comes with the condition. Find a cream that will not only moisturize the skin but will also lock in that moisture, essentially creating a barrier for the skin. This will help with relief, and perhaps even a decrease in symptoms entirely.
- Hypoallergenic. Having a condition like eczema already means having sensitive skin. While most creams do not contain allergens, some may. The last thing anyone wants is an allergic reaction to an ingredient in lotion. Make sure to check closely and find out if the lotion that you are considering has any allergens in them.
- Gentleness. With eczema, most people have to moisturize with a cream every day or every other day. It all depends on the severity of the condition. Be on the lookout for eczema creams that are safe for everyday use. Try to find ones that are gentle but strong. Many children’s eczema formulas are gentle.
- Itch relief. Skin conditions, like eczema, can make one’s skin pretty itchy. A symptom like that can get pretty upsetting, especially in children. It can be a huge distraction to someone of any age, though. Itching and scratching isn’t a good option, as it makes symptoms worse. When scoping out different eczema creams, check out how well they can reduce itchiness to find one that will suit your specific needs best.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is eczema cream and how does it work?
Essentially, eczema cream is a lotion with high moisturizing ability. There are certain oils that are contained within the creams. These are what help to contain and seal in moisture. Some creams also can contain ceramides, which are a naturally occurring substance in healthy skin.
Can eczema be cured completely?
Eczema is a condition that can onset very early in life, even in infancy in some cases. Some children that have been diagnosed with it can outgrow it by the age of ten. However, when the condition continues into adulthood, there is no absolute cure for eczema. But, the good news is that there are so very many creams and lotions that are available to treat the symptoms of the condition. For some people, symptoms can disappear for a time, if they have found a lotion or cream that has worked for them. But in the long run, eczema is a lifelong and chronic condition. But because of the many options that are out there for treating it, it does not have to dictate life and day-to-day activities. Many people, with the right creams and treatments, can live happy and enjoyable lives, without having to worry about their skin all the time.
What happens if eczema is left untreated?
When left completely untreated, eczema can lead to a variety of skin complications, including infections. Infected eczema is a complication of the condition going untreated. It can come from scratching and agitating the affected area of the skin. Staph infections, the herpes simplex virus, and bacterial infections can also occur when eczema is left untreated. If you suspect that you are suffering from infected eczema, it is important to see a medical provider as soon as possible.
Is Vaseline good for eczema?
While Vaseline cannot make symptoms disappear completely, it can be helpful to soothe skin that is being affected by eczema. Because it has special oils in it, it can create a barrier between the affected skin and any potential irritants. It can help the itchiness that is so common, as well as helping to repair dry skin.
Other Eczema Creams We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other eczema creams. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best eczema creams list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option. The information that you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
This lotion provides instant relief to dry, red and itchy skin due to eczema. It has been tested with dermatologists and contains 1% colloidal oatmeal.
- Steroid and fragrance-free
- High level of moisturizers
This eczema cream is filled with skin-soothing ceramides and is completely steroid and fragrance-free. It helps to strengthen the skin’s natural barrier.
- Approved for use in children over the age of 3 months
- Dermatologist recommended
- Can be used daily
This specialized moisturizing lotion is safe enough for everyday use and quickly relieves dry skin. In addition to colloidal oatmeal, it also contains aloe vera.
- Contains emollients and a botanical blend to soothe skin
- No artificial colors, parabens or fragrances
- Provides 24-hour protection after initial application
Within just three days, clearer skin can be seen after using this lotion. It can be used as needed.
- Contains no antibiotics
- Has the Seal of Acceptance from the National Eczema Association
- Recommended for mild-to-moderate eczema
This eczema lotion helps to remove scaling and flaking skin. It can also be helpful in alleviating the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Has pH level of 5.5, normal skin pH
- Helps severe dryness
- Holds water molecules in where they belong
Created with wild harvested pinon pine resin and many other natural ingredients, this salve contains anti-inflammatory ingredients.
- Pleasant Pinon Pine aroma
- Can also be used for other skin issues
- Antibacterial and antifungal
This natural salve is gentle on the skin and moisturizes when applied, and it contains real vitamin E.
- Made with certified organic calendula blossoms
- Base of organic olive oil
- Great for inflamed skin
This natural and organic salve helps to relieve itchiness naturally. It can help to repair and heal skin, especially psoriasis and eczema.
- Created with a blend of 5 organic medicinal herbs
- Also helps with cuts, scratches, and wounds
- Made to heal even the deepest layers of skin
An antiseptic and anti-inflammatory balm that helps to soothe and moisturize skin, Mountain Body Mountain Balm offers completely natural soothing and healing relief.
- Helps to prevent infection
- Also helps speed up healing times of cuts and scrapes
An herbally-infused, paraben-free salve that soothes skin and helps heal breakouts, this healing salve was created by a mother for her daughter’s eczema condition.
- Unscented, no-sting formula
- Slow-infused with herbs
- Contains castor oil, giving it an extra emollient soothing property
Eczema Body Washes
With a super-gentle formula, this body wash calms itchy and dry skin. It contains omega oils and ceramides.
- Moisturizes while cleansing for softer skin
- Contains soothing omega oils
- Free of any fragrances
Created with olive oil as a natural moisturizer and coconut oil, which has antioxidant properties, this body wash is great for those prone to eczema flare-ups. It also helps with a variety of other skin conditions.
- Contains hand-milled oats
- Helps to fight free radicals
- Reduces skin inflammation
Created with balneological peat, an alternative to hyaluronic acid and collagen, this body wash helps to restore skin and alleviate symptoms. It is packed with all-natural moisturizers, so there is no need to moisturize when coming out of the shower.
- A mixture of body cream and shower gel helps to soothe skin while getting clean
- Has photoprotective benefits
- Anti-inflammatory ingredients
With healing and soothing ingredients like aloe vera and shea, this body wash helps to keep skin clear and calm. It’s made with no harsh chemicals and is suitable for use even on children.
- Dermatologist recommended
- Free from parabens, allergens, gluten and more
- Balances skin’s natural pH level
This body wash is created using Manuka honey, a natural moisturizer that helps to protect dry and cracked skin. Aloe vera helps to speed healing.
- Free of dyes and fragrances
- Vitamin E infused to nourish the skin
- Also helps acne
Eczema Stick Balms
Made with highly-concentrated pure ingredients, this balm helps to heal eczema-prone skin naturally. It is perfect for sensitive skin, helping with redness, inflammation, and other symptoms.
- No harsh fragrances or chemicals
- Great for babies
- Relief can be seen after just one application
Made with raw coconut oil and beeswax, this portable stick can go anywhere with you. With a natural SPF of 4, it can provide 75% protection from the sun’s harmful rays.
- The easy twist-up applicator makes applying easy
- Non-greasy formula
- No chemical preservatives
Infused with calendula flowers, this stick balm provides extraordinary moisture and is safe for all types of skin.
- Portable and easy to carry
- Long-lasting moisture
- Moisturize anywhere at anytime
Easy to use and made for use all over the body, this stick balm’s special gel helps to relieve dry skin and itching.
- Helps to reduce scars
- Stick is “super moisture”
- Created with natural oils
Made with soothing botanicals, Monkey Balm helps to improve symptoms of eczema and dry skin, and it’s easy to apply.
- Great for travel
- Good for everyone, even children
- No-sting formula