If you’ve ever checked out the social media pages of famous body painting experts, you probably gasped at some of the breathtaking designs they came up with. It’s easy to appreciate the fantastic results that these artists come up with, but doing it yourself may seem too challenging. If you are learning body painting or have been at it for a while, then you probably already know that choosing the right body paint is half the battle. There are several of them in stores, and not all are suitable for your needs. It’s important to understand how to select the most suitable body paint, whether it’s for cosplay, a holiday, or just for fun.
We reviewed dozens of body paints to help you find the best of the best. We evaluated body paints based on the quality, type of paint, customer reviews, and other considerations such as ease of use and how easy the paint is to remove.
The Mehron Makeup Professional Body Paint emerged as the clear winner owing to its preference by top body painting professionals. Besides being specially formulated to be incredibly smooth and easy to apply, this product offers efficient coverage without cracking or dryness.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Body Paints
|Best Overall||Mehron Makeup Professional Body Paint||4.4|
|Runner Up||Madisi Body Paint Set||4.4|
|Best Budget Buy||Snazaroo Classic Face Paint||4.0|
|Best Neon/Glow In The Dark Body Paint||UV Neon Body Paint By Midnight Glo||4.2|
|Best Glitter Body Paint||Unicorn Snot Vegan Glitter Gel||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Mehron Makeup Professional Body Paint
Mehron is a giant in the body paint industry, and it’s no surprise that their body paint is praised by professionals and everyday users alike. The Mehron Professional Body Paint took the top spot owing to the unmatched quality offered at its price tag in addition to being the go-to paint by pros. Vivid and bright, this body paint has also proven to stand the test time, making it a worthy option if you wish to wear body paint for many hours with no degradation and chipping.
The ingredients used to make this paint are unmatched and include avocado oil, cocoa seed butter, and others. Once you apply it, you won’t notice because it has an incredibly comfortable feel, unlike other paints. The body paint comes ready to apply, with no mixing or other prep required. You’ll need a foam applicator or use your fingertips to apply the paint depending on what you are used to.
Mehron Makeup Professional Body Paint Key Features:
- Perfect fit for professional body paint needs
- Made with moisturizers that make it comfortable on your skin
- Can remain intact under intense conditions
Our Runner Up Pick: Madisi Body Paint Set
The Madisi Body Paint Set is another option worth considering, and it has a lot to offer. It’s sold as a set of 12 distinct colors that are stored in 12ML tubes. Colors include lemon yellow, burnt umber, vermilion, sap green, viridian, phthalo blue, crimson red, and black, among others. This product has been made with safety in mind, designed to be non-irritating for sensitive skin and environmentally-friendly, as well. It’s simple to use – all you have to do is to add some water to the brushes and start painting.
This fantastic body paint set is ideal for a variety of purposes such as birthday parties, makeup teaching, and games. It’s also backed by a lifetime guarantee, so it’s a no-risk buy. The entire set retails for under $15, which is a fair price considering that you get a set of twelve colors that can be mixed and blended to create even more eye-popping colors. People who have used it went on to recommend it as a great artist quality body paint suitable for various occasions.
Madisi Body Paint Set Key Features:
- Available in a set of 12 vivid colors
- Safe for the skin and environment
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Easy to use and wash off
Best Budget Pick: Snazaroo Classic Face Paint
If you’re looking to spend a bit less without sacrificing quality, the Snazaroo Classic Face Paint is a good option for those on a budget. It’s a water-based body paint and comes in 36 color options to choose from. This gives you all the primary colors and their various shades, making it possible to create an endless variety of body art designs. Each color goes for just under $10.
The paints are made with consideration for those with sensitive skin, with no added fragrances that can irritate sensitive skin. This face paint has been tested by experts in dermatology and toxicology to prove that they are safe for you. The fact that they are water-based makes them easy to wash off. You don’t have to scrub your face (another perk for those with sensitive skin), and no one will even notice that you had paint on your face and body.
Snazaroo Classic Face Paint Key Features:
- Available in 36 color options
- Friendly to the skin
- Water-based formula
Best Neon/Glow In The Dark Body Paint: UV Neon Body Paint By Midnight Glo
The UV Neon Body Paint By Midnight Glo is the best glow in the dark face and body paint, and it’s available in a set of six, 0.75 oz. bottles. It comes in a set of vibrant fluorescent colors including pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. It reacts to ambient UV lighting to create a fun neon glow. Given the price per set, you’ll be paying less than $3 per color, so it’s also reasonably priced.
This multipurpose set of neon paints that can be used for just about any occasion. Made with safe, non-irritating ingredients, it can be used by most people with sensitive skin, and it’s been certified as safe. It’s easy to remove without scrubbing, and it’s suitable for both daytime and nighttime use, producing a bright glow when exposed to ambient UV light.
UV Neon Body Paint By Midnight Glo Key Features:
- Safe for the skin
- Comes in a set of six different colors
- Easily washed off
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Best Glitter Body Paint: Unicorn Snot Vegan Glitter Gel
The Unicorn Snot Vegan Glitter Gel is a multipurpose glitter gel that is suitable for a plethora of occasions. It’s easy to use, creating a sparkling, glittery effect when applied. It is easy to use, and you do not have to add any adhesives before applying it. Just gently apply the gel wherever you want a shimmery effect on your face and body, but be careful when applying it near the delicate eye area.
The gel dries out quickly, making it a suitable option when pairing it up with other components of your makeup. You can remove it quickly by using makeup removal cloths, wet wipes, or a cotton ball with makeup remover. At just under $13, it’s another reasonably priced option compared to similar glitter body paints.
Unicorn Snot Vegan Glitter Gel Key Features:
- Vegan and cruelty-free product
- No adhesives required for application
- Feels lightweight and dries quickly
Who Should Buy Body Paint
Body paint can be used for a wide variety of occasions. It’s an integral part of cosplay, theater, and movies where people need to mimic certain characters and situations. However, body paints are not only used for functional events as their temporariness makes them a suitable choice for events and fun activities such as hiking, color festivals, birthday parties, and other events.
Artists are some of the people who commonly use body paints to bring out certain characters for their photography and videography works. They need to create scenes and characters, often using body paints to make ordinary people look the part. You can also use body paints as a fun activity for a child’s birthday party or for face painting at festivals or other events.
Some glitter paints can be applied as makeup and used to enhance beauty. Glitter gels are examples of these paints and can be coupled with other parts of your makeup, such as your eyeliner, to bring out your desired look.
Important Features to Consider
When buying body paints, you will come across a lot of them, and it is not easy to pick the best one from the lot. Doing it can be made easy if you understand the critical things to look out for when choosing the best. These features will define the best body paint for a particular situation and precisely, for your needs. Here are some important things to look out for when picking body paint:
- Color requirement. Always take some time and determine the colors you need for whatever use you have for the body paint. This will go a long way in determining the suitable body paint for you. All the body paints in the market come in a fixed set of colors, and the available ones might not be suitable for your needs. This way, it helps to ensure that the colors that are available for the specific product will serve your requirements well. It is useless buying the best body paint in the market if the available shades cannot help you to bring out your desired results.
- Budget. Body paints vary in price, and it is evident from a few of them that have been mentioned in our review. You should have an amount that you are willing to spend on body paint and be careful to do some homework and know the average cost of body paint, lest you set a budget that is too low. Your needs will also come into the picture since some body paints come in sets of six, eight or even twelve vivid colors. Others are sold as single colors, and you might be required to buy all the shades you need differently, making it more costly. If you need variety, go for the body paints that come in sets since you will get more for much less.
- Type of paint. The difference between the available types of paint mainly lies in the ingredients used to make it and if there is a requirement to add any adhesives before using it. Water-based paints are the best since you only need to mix them with water and they are also non-toxic, non-allergenic and can be easily washed away. However, they are susceptible to sweat and will need touch ups more often. Metallic paints are mixed with a liquid mixing solution and might have some effect on people with sensitive skin. Alcohol-based body paints are resistant to sweat and water and come in handy for applications where one sweats a lot. However, they could be irritating to the eye. All these and other types of paint have their benefits and downsides, and it is important to understand them before picking the most suitable one.
- Additives. Some paints require some additives before you can use them, while others are ready to use. It is essential to look at what you will need beyond the paint. You might need some special brushes and adhesives, and you need to be aware of this beforehand. Not all the body paints you buy will be ready to use and be prepared to buy these extra items that will be needed. Some of them cannot be washed off using water, so you might have to purchase makeup removers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which paint is used for body paint?
Body painting refers to the unique types of paints that are directly applied to an individual’s skin. They are related to tattoos with the only difference being that they are temporary. They could last one day or even weeks depending on the paint. You can get a wide variety of body paints in retail stores and they are used for festivals, artwork or commercial purposes.
How long does it take for body paint to dry?
The amount of time it takes for the body paint to dry mainly depends on the type. Water-based paints take the shortest time to dry but are equally more susceptible to sweat and rubbing. Alcohol-based paints take longer, but they will equally withstand the test of time. Oil-based paints also take longer to dry but are resistant to water. In a nutshell, the time it takes for body paint to dry depends on the liquid used to mix it.
Can face paint be used on the body?
Face paints are not overly different from body paints. The main difference is that face paints are made with extra caution since the facial skin is more sensitive compared to the body skin. This way, face paints are less reactive and do not contain elements that could irritate the equally vulnerable eyes. This way, there is no big deal in applying face paint on the body, but they could not be suited to that, and it all goes down to your needs and requirements.
How do you get body paint off?
Water-based body paints can typically be washed off easily using water and ordinary body soap or face wash. Some body paints require makeup remover products, such as liquid makeup remover or makeup removal wipes, to remove all traces of the paint from your skin. If you have sensitive skin, water-based body paints are typically best, as they can be more easily washed off without a lot of scrubbing that can irritate your skin.
Other Body Paints We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other body paints. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best body paints list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for an upcoming or pro body painter. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Crayon Body Paints
This is a collection of twelve face paint crayons of different bright colors. The crayons are about 2,25 inches, come in a sturdy plastic case, and are incredibly easy to use.
- Brightly colored face paint crayons
- Safe to use and non-toxic
- Comes with hard-plastic storage
This is a set of twelve colors made for face painting. The crayons can be twisted to produce the color bar thus preventing it from breakage during transportation. It contains vibrant colors and has no toxins.
- Water-based color crayons
- Easy to apply
- Available in a set of twelve colors
This set of four playpens is easy to use and completely safe even when ingested. You do not need to prepare it as you just squeeze and paint.
- Edible body paint
- Fruit flavored
- Comes in a set of four
Glitter Body Paints
This versatile glitter paint comes in 6 amazing shades which you could mix together or use individually for the best sparkle on your face and body.
- 6 amazing shades
- Applies on smooth
- Formulated with a long-lasting factor
This is a set of five colors glitter gels that are a perfect fit for various occasions. You can pick your desired five from a possible eight making them very versatile for a plethora of events. The ingredients used to make them are entirely safe.
- Easy to remove
- Versatile for any occasion
- Tested and proved to be safe for the skin.
This is a glitter paint that is available in various colors. It is simple to apply and suited for a wide variety of occasions. It is lab tested and completely safe.
- Available in various colors
- Washes off easily with water
- Lab tested
Glow Body Paints
This is a set of bright UV face and body paint that is safe and free from toxins. It comes in a set of eight distinct colors. They include a set of painting brushes and a mixing palette.
- Extremely bright body and face paints
- Water-based safe and non-toxic paints
- No risk purchases
This is a set of 24 certified non-toxic neon glow tubes that are available in six primary colors and variations of the same. This paint brilliantly fluoresces for the perfect party mood.
- Save money by getting more colors for less
- Nontoxic and safe
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
This 7 color set is the best for creating amazing 3D glowing effects for your next party. It boasts the best quality ingredients for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
- 7 fluorescent colors
- Comes with 2 cosmetic sponge applicators
- 3D glowing effects
This is a set of six distinct glow body and face paints that allows you to create a colorful and vibrant look. It is very safe and kind on the skin making it suitable for your face and body.
- Moisturizing formula
- Easy to apply
- Intense colors
This is a set of six backlight face and body paints that glow brightly when exposed to UV lighting. It comes in squeeze tubes and can easily be applied and washed off using water.
- Available in a set of six distinct colors
- Easily washed off
- Dries quickly
Oil-Based Body Paints
This is an oil-based face paint that is easy to wear and feels comfortable on your skin. It comes in a set of twelve distinct colors making it suitable for a wide variety of occasions.
- Oil-based paint
- Top quality ingredients
- Easy to wear and remove
This is a highly pigmented cream for body and face painting purposes. It comes in deep black pigment and quickly dries to create a long-lasting finish.
- Cream makeup
- Easy to wash off
- Resistant to water
Water-Based Body Paints
This is a face paint kit that comes in a set of twelve colors, pencils and brushes. The colors are very bright and perfectly safe for people with sensitive skin. It is ideal for kids and has additional stencils for easy painting.
- 100% risk-free purchase
- Complete face painting kit
- Ideal for sensitive skin
This is a set of twelve classic colors and a couple of detail printing brushes. The paint is non-toxic and perfectly safe for people of all ages. It is easy to wear and easily washable with minimal scrubbing required.
- A wide variety of colors allows you to create any look
- Safe and free from toxins
- Comes with a set of brushes and pencils
This body paint is suitable for beginners and professionals owing to how easy it is to use it. You can use your fingertips, sponge or even a paintbrush to apply this water-based paint.
- Ideal for amateurs
- Easy to apply and remove
- Read to use
This is a top-quality face paint kit that is water-based and can also be used on the body. It is hypoallergenic and can be easily removed by just washing it off with water. It is suitable for a wide variety of occasions as it gives a natural appearance and does not feel like cheap stickers pasted on your skin.
- Nontoxic and hypoallergenic
- Available in a set of sixteen different colors
- Professional face and body paint suited for several occasions
This is a complete face painting kit that contains 12 colors and brushes. The colors are thick and vibrant and won’t fade off easily even when exposed to sweat and heat.
- Complete face painting kit
- Water based paint
- Available in a set of 12 colors
Handy Art Face Paint comes in two sizes (2 oz. and 8 oz.) and 12 color options. It is safe to use and can be washed with water.
- Available in an option of different colors
- Safe to use
- 12 color options
This is an all-inclusive face paint kit for kids that contains a set of 12 vibrant colors. The collection has 10 ml of paint per color, and it is entirely safe for the skin.
- Set of 12 bright colors
- Supplied in a reusable plastic