When you are searching for the perfect hair accessory, it is easy to pick fashion over function. However, hair clips come in all shapes and sizes and some even work better for different hair types. Whether you have thin hair, thick hair, short, long, straight, or curly hair, there is a hair clip to suit your needs. If you are looking for a hair clip that doubles as a fashion statement, barrettes come in a wide variety of sizes and colors. Plastic styles are great to keep the hair out of children’s eyes. Adults may prefer alligator or snap clips to accompany their personal style. French, jaw and condor clips are favorites for people who have thicker or longer hair. These clips can keep hair secure all at once or in sections.
We reviewed dozens of hair clips to identify the best of the best. We researched to find the best hair clips that helped hair stay in place, had well-constructed embellishments and are versatile for multiple occasions.
The QingHan 40Pcs 3” Grosgrain Ribbon Pinwheel Boutique Hair Bows Clips is our top pick for quality and versatility. The set includes 40 hair clips in a variety of colors, so it’s easy to find the right hair clip to match any outfit.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Hair Clips
|QingHan 40Pcs 3'' Grosgrain Ribbon Pinwheel Boutique Hair Bows Clips
|Art Nouveau Swirl Hair Clip
|Best Budget Buy
|Revlon Rubberized Double Grip Black Hair Clips
|Best Hair Clip for Short Hair
|Prohouse Tiny Hair Bows Fully Lined Hair Clips for Baby Girls Fine Hair
|Best Hair Clip for Long Hair
|Cehomi 24Pcs Styling Hair Sectioning Clip For Thick Hair
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of writing and can change
Our Top Pick: QingHan 40Pcs 3” Grosgrain Ribbon Pinwheel Boutique Hair Bows Clips
The QingHan 40Pcs 3” Grosgrain Ribbon Pinwheel Boutique Hair Bows Clips is great for a wide range of ages. The set comes with 40 different color hair clips so you can easily coordinate with all of your outfits from summer to winter.
A high quality alligator clip keeps even thin hair from escaping. The hair clips are also well-constructed so you won’t have to worry about unsightly loose strings.
QingHan 40Pcs 3” Grosgrain Ribbon Pinwheel Boutique Hair Bows Clips Key Features:
- 40 different colored hair clips
- High-quality construction
- Great for thin or thick hair
- Works for a wide range of ages
Our Runner Up Pick: Art Nouveau Swirl Hair Clip
The Art Nouveau Swirl Hair Clip is handcrafted in the USA with a quality French clip to accommodate both thick and thin hair types. Whether you are headed to the office or need a formal up-do, this clip can work for both.
This clip is also great for gift giving as it appeals to many aesthetics. And if it breaks, Oberon Design will replace it free of charge.
Art Nouveau Swirl Hair Clip Key Features:
- Made in the USA
- Suitable for gift giving
- Aesthetically appealing for a wide range of style
- Quality construction, if it breaks, replaced free of charge
Best Budget Pick: Revlon Rubberized Double Grip Black Hair Clips
If you have had bad experiences with hair clips slipping, you will love the Revlon Rubberized Double Grip Black Hair Clips. These hair clips have patented stay in place grips that last all day. They are easy to travel with and work well with all hair types.
Revlon Rubberized Double Grip Black Hair Clips Key Features:
- Patented double grip clips
- No slip grip dots
- Comb Teeth and rubberized finish for extra hold
Best Hair Clip for Short Hair: Prohouse Tiny Hair Bows Fully Lined Hair Clips for Baby Girls Fine Hair
When you need a cute pair of bows to complete your hairstyle, you want a set that has a color to perfectly coordinate with your selected outfit. The Prohouse Tiny Hair Bows Fully Lined Hair Clips for Baby Girls Fine Hair 2 inch hair clips are partially lined to grip the silkiest of hair.
The set features a classic boutique style that is adorable for little girls but sophisticated enough for women. Great for pony tails or pig tails and to keep those pesky flyaway hairs under control. Perfect gift for the girl who appreciates chic accessories.
Prohouse Tiny Hair Bows Fully Lined Hair Clips for Baby Girls Fine Hair Key Features:
- 20 sets, 40 clips in total
- High-quality construction, grosgrain ribbon
- Perfect for clipping to head bands
- Versatile and stylish for all ages
Best Hair Clip for Long Hair: Cehomi 24Pcs Styling Hair Sectioning Clip For Thick Hair
Why hurt your scalp with traditional metal clips when you could use the Cehomi 24Pcs Styling Hair Sectioning Clip For Thick Hair? Their alligator clips are made of light-weight ABS plastic and come with smoothly curved ridges and a curved pointed tip for ultimate pain-free accuracy. Plus, they never pull or damage your hair.
A unique feature is the grip on the squeeze tab. When your hands are wet or coated in product, you will still be able to squeeze and place the clips. These hair clips hold hair securely in place without fail. Use the different colors to style or section hair.
Cehomi 24Pcs Styling Hair Sectioning Clip For Thick Hair Key Features:
- Accurately sections hair without hurting your head
- Holds hair tightly without causing unsightly dents
- ABS plastic, does not rust like metal clips
Who Should Buy a Hair Clip
You should buy hair clips if you are in search of a way to pull your hair back from your face, are in a working environment in which your hair needs to be contained, or simply enjoy purchasing hair accessories as a fashion statement.
Hair clips are very affordable. Different clips are better than others for certain hair styles. No matter what thickness or length of hair you have, every hair type has a generous selection of clips to choose from.
Important Features to Consider
A hair clip should hold your hair in place and add to your personal style. Here’s what to consider when selecting a hair clip:
- Metal or plastic. Most hair clips are manufactured in two materials, metal or plastic. Metal clips can be more durable and hold thick, long hair more securely. However, metal is heavier than plastic and in some cases can rust. Plastic clips tend to work better for thinner, short hair and are usually more decorative in nature.
- Plain or decorative. The style of hair clip is up to one’s preference. Do you like a more understated look that can blend in at the office and work for a casual night out? Or do you prefer to add statement accessories to your newest hairstyle? While choosing a unique hair clip for your collection is fun, its a good idea to add a few neutral hair clips too.
- Size. If you have thick or long hair, always take into consideration the size of the hair clip you are purchasing. You will need a clip that can accommodate the extra bulk and hold it securely. If you have short or thin hair, look for smaller clips that have a grip so your smooth locks won’t try to escape.
- Construction. Look for hair clips that are made with quality materials and workmanship. These hair clips will last longer and appear more polished.
- Hair clip sets. If you wear hair clips frequently, choose a hair clip set. Sets usually contain a variety of colors, designs or sizes. The extra hair clips allow you to mix and match with your wardrobe and have a spare if you lose one.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do hair clips do?
The main purpose of a hair clip is to hold hair in place. Hair clips can keep hair out of your eyes, to secure a hair style in place such as a ponytail or bun. They are also used as a decorative accent in your hair to add a pop of color or texture to your hairstyle.
What are the different types of hair clips?
There are several different types of hair clips. Depending on what type of hair you have (long or short, thick or thin) and the hairstyle you are going for, will determine which type of hair clip works best.
- Barrette. A barrette is the most common for children. Made from plastic or metal, a barrette can hold hair, but is mainly used as a decorative accessory.
- Alligator Clip. Alligator clips come in various sizes and work for all types of hair. They are most often used in the styling process by allowing the stylist to work with one section of hair at a time. Alligator clips are also used as a finished barrette.
- Snap Clip. Snap clips come in various lengths to accommodate both thin and thick hair. A snap clip can gather hair against the scalp and lay flat when shut. They are most often used to handle fly-a-ways or hair that does not stay in place on its own. Snap clips come in all different colors, from bright to neutral tones that match your hair color.
- French Clip. If you have thick hair, you may have used a French clip. French clips are made of metal and has a tension bar that locks the hair in place. French clips are usually decorated with a fabric bow, resin designs or jewels.
- Jaw Clip. Jaw clips are made up of two identical combs that clasp together when closed using spring tension. When open the jaw clips can grasp thick hair. Jaw clips are often used to create multiple, small ponytails or secure a bun.
- Condor Clip. Condor clips are great for thick or long hair to create a formal style like a French twist. They resemble the alligator clip but are more elongated with pointed ends and a rounded top. Condor clips can be a neutral color, brightly colored or even adorned with jewels and flowers for a fancier look.
How do you use a hair clip?
Smaller hair clips are often used to secure bangs or flyaway hairs at the front. Larger hair clips can secure longer, thicker hair in the back to hold a ponytail, secure a bun or even create an up-do like a French twist.
How do I get a hair clip to stay in my hair?
When purchasing hair clips, always take into consideration what kind of hair you have. Is it thick? Is it longer than shoulder length? Thick and long hair require a hair clip that is wider than the standard size. If you have short or thin hair, you will need a hair clip that is small and preferably has a grip material (such as Velcro or grosgrain ribbon) to keep your smooth locks in place.
Other Hair Clips We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other hair clips. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best hair clips list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Hair Clips for Short Hair
These clips are made from high quality acrylic. They come in various muted jewel tones that look great with any hair color.
- Clips are sleek and non-slip
- No damage to your hair
- Set comes with both petal and triangle style
High-quality metal with a satisfaction guarantee. Great for girls and women alike.
- 15 colors (4 pairs of each color)
- Each clip is 2 inches long, firm grip
- Use for both thin and thick hair
These geometric clips are great for an understated glamour look. Hair clips are made from high quality acrylic resin and alloy ensuring they will be in your collection for a long time.
- 10 different colors (10 barrettes)
- Non-slip design
These feminine hair clips allow you to mix and match colors and styles. From ladybugs to flowers, they will add a whimsical touch to your next outfit.
- 36 durable clips
- 6 coordinating colorways
- Patterns including ladybugs and floral
Little girls will go crazy for this colorful flower hair clip set. Easily mix and match colors to coordinate with any outfit.
- Durable snap design
- Large variety of colors from neutrals to brights
- Easy to place in hair
Hair Clips for Long Hair
These colorful transparent hair clips have a double-hinged design. The two springs can automatically adjust to securely hold any thickness and type of hair.
- Salon quality
- Double-hinged design
- No slip when working with wet hair, product or the color process regardless of hair type
If you are growing your bangs out or just need a clip for a quick up-do, the Rosette hair claw clip is a good choice.
- 4 inch clip, ideal for thick or long hair
- Interlocking teeth securely hold hair in place
- Great for both formal and casual looks
This barrette is carefully made in France from fine materials. It features an extra large clasp to securely hold large amounts of hair.
- Curved barrette for easy chic styling
- Extra large clasp with secure hold
- Available in multiple designs
These durable duck bill clips hold hair in place when cutting, styling or blow-drying. Use these hair clips to create retro pin curls.
- Made of anodized aluminum for durability
- Thin metal bottom for increased accuracy when sectioning hair
- Great for creating retro pin curls
The flexible double-hinged claws help secure hair without making a dent. They also help section hair without damaging or getting it tangled.
- Neutral black clips for styling or wear
- Patented self-locking grip
- Great for men or women
If you are frustrated with trying to keep your hair in place while washing your face, these clips are affordable to add to your daily routine. Also great for holding or sectioning hair when curling or straightening.
- Easy grab handles
- Salon quality
- Will not damage your hair
Decorative Hair Clips
These hair clips have a strong pump handle to keep your hair securely in place whether your day is fast-paced or laid back. The metal flowers and crystals add the perfect touch to the already stunning gold colored clip.
- Boutique alligator clips in 4 gorgeous colors
- Over 5 inches in length
- Decorated with sparkling crystals on a metal alloy base
The beads are manually connected by fishing wire so you will not have to worry about random pearls falling off. The hair clips are elegant enough for formal events, but also works for everyday use.
- Handmade, hand strung, no glue
- Formal or casual occasions
- Suitable for girls and women
Ever wished your hair clip could multi-task? Meet the Tacticlip. This hair clip doubles as a box cutter, serrated edge and raptor claw.
- Rugged and durable
- Open boxes, tighten eye glasses, break through zip ties
- Unique gift idea
Gorgeous satin fabric roses accent the combination brooch pin and hair clip backing. These clips not only look great in your hair but work as accessories for hats, handbags, dresses and more.
- Doubles as a brooch pin
- Multi-color pack coordinates with your wardrobe
- Sturdy construction, roses look realistic
These bow hair clips are made with boutique quality glitter ribbon for a touch of bling. Muted tones of blues and pinks are a great accent to your favorite hair style.
- Boutique quality glitter ribbon
- 5″ in wide, makes a great statement piece
- Alligator clip base for thin or thick hair
These boutique style Hawaiian flower hair clips are a must have for your next tropical vacation or party. Each flower is attached to a alligator hair clip that helps hair stay in place.
- 6 different color flowers
- Boutique quality
- East to style for children or adults
Beautiful, ornate hair clips that are adorned with rhinestones and faux crystals for an high-end look. Each clip in the set is different so you never have to wear the same design two days in a row.
- 5 different designs
- Vintage style, extremely detailed
- Work for both girls and women
These hair clips give your style a touch of retro whether you are running everyday errands or attending a formal occasion. A perfect set for gift giving.
- Made of metal alloy
- Detailed tree branch and feather design
- Different metal colors to match your existing jewelry
You will receive 50 different hair clips in this unique set. Purchase the set for yourself or give as gifts to your best friends. Set includes hearts, stars, animals, fruit and more.
- Great for everyday wear to compliment your personal style
- Perfect gift for holidays, birthdays, etc.
- Clips are 1-2 inches in size and work with all types of hair