If you notice some hairs in the sink or the shower, don’t worry. It’s normal to lose between 50-100 hairs each day while still maintaining your typical hair growth. If you notice more than that—large amounts of hair in your brushes, on your clothing, or in the drains—it could be that you’re suffering from hair loss. Other signs may include gradual thinning on the top of the head, a receding hairline on the forehead, and circular or patchy bald spots.
The Mayo Clinic notes that the most common cause of hair loss is a condition called “androgenic alopecia.” A genetic condition, it causes both male-pattern and female-pattern baldness and usually occurs gradually over time. Men most often see a receding hairline and bald spots. Women are more likely to experience thinning along the crown and at the part, and may also have a receding hairline. Other factors that increase your risk of hair loss include age, hormonal changes, certain medications, stress, trauma, and excessive or harsh styling methods.
Though you can’t do anything about your genes, you can take some steps to help prevent hair loss and stimulate new hair growth. Be gentle with your hair, use nourishing shampoos and conditioners, avoid harsh treatments, and limit the tension from styles that use rubber bands, barrettes, and braids. Protect your hair from the sun, which damages it, stop smoking, and eat a healthy diet.
If these steps aren’t effective, you may want to consider hair-growth supplements. They supply nutrients your body needs to grow healthy, strong hair. How do you know which hair growth vitamins are best? We recently reviewed dozens of them to find out. We looked at the ingredients included, the delivery method (capsules, tablets, or gummies?), the dose of each nutrient supplied, and the cost.
We’ve identified Advanced Trichology Hair Neutraceutical as our top pick for supporting healthy hair growth. It not only includes vitamins and minerals that support hair growth but a unique FoliGROWTH blend of herbs and extracts that help prevent hair loss and thinning.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Hair Growth Vitamins
|Best Hair Growth Vitamins Overall||Advanced Trichology Hair Neutraceutical||4.3|
|Best Hair Growth Gummies||SugarBearHair Vitamins||4.5|
|Best Budget Hair Growth Vitamins||Nature’s Bounty Hair, Skin, & Nails||4.6|
|Best Women's Hair Growth Vitamins||BioSchwartz Hair Growth Supplement||4.3|
|Best Men's Hair Growth Vitamins||Propidren by HairGenics||4.6|
*Ratings are current at the time of publication and can change.
Best Hair Growth Vitamins Overall: Advanced Trichology Hair Neutraceutical
If you’re struggling with hair loss caused by diet and genetic changes, try the Advanced Trichology Hair Neutraceutical. It provides healthy doses of vitamins and minerals known to help promote hair growth, including vitamins A, B, C, D, and E, as well as iron, iodine, zinc, selenium, and magnesium. Most of these are provided at far over 100 percent of the daily value, helping jumpstart the body’s hair-growth processes. You get 5,000 mcg of biotin, for example, which is necessary for healthy hair, skin, and nails.
In addition to all these nutrients, you also get the FoliGROWTH proprietary complex, which includes extracts and herbs known to help encourage hair growth while also promoting stronger nails and smooth skin. Inside this complex, you’ll find saw palmetto extract, which may help block DHT-related hair loss, along with MSM, pine bark extract, bamboo extract, choline, and hyaluronic acid.
Reviewers rave about this product, stating that it helps hair grow in thicker and faster, combats menopause-related hair thinning, reduces hair loss, battles baldness, and even helps nails to grow faster.
Advanced Trichology Hair Neutraceutical Key Features:
- Delivers a potent dose of several hair-growth vitamins and minerals
- Perfect for men and women
- Includes unique FoliGROWTH complex that contains DHT-blocking saw palmetto
- Reviewers love how well it works
- 100 percent money-back hair growth products guarantee
Best Hair Growth Gummies: SugarBearHair Vitamins
If regular vitamins make you gag, try SugarBearHair Vitamins. They’re made with real berries for a deliciously sweet flavor but they don’t include gelatin, dairy, or gluten, so they’re perfect for vegetarians.
The formula delivers a combination of hair-growth nutrients including vitamins A, C, D, and E, all the B vitamins, and over 5,000 mcg of hair-strengthening biotin. You also get inositol, a vitamin-like substance that may help reduce testosterone and balance hormones in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). This ingredient may help reverse hormone-triggered thinning hair.
The ingredients included have been shown in clinical trials to help improve hair health while nourishing the hair from within. The gummies smell delicious and are fun to eat, yet they’re safe and effective. Reviewers say that the product works and that in addition to promoting hair growth, it also helps strengthen nails. Some do warn that if you’re prone to acne, the high levels of biotin may cause new acne breakouts.
SugarBearHair Vitamins Key Features:
- Tasty gummies made with real berries
- A multi-vitamin formula with nutrients to support healthy hair growth
- Includes inositol, which may help counteract hormonal-inspired hair loss
- Nourishes the hair from within
Best Budget Hair Growth Vitamins: Nature’s Bounty Hair, Skin, & Nails
If you’re not sure whether hair growth vitamins are for you, try Nature’s Bounty Hair, Skin, & Nails. It gives you the same hair-healthy ingredients plus a few extra herbs and extracts for a super reasonable price.
Take a look at the supplement facts, as the doses are impressive. You get 100 percent or more of the daily value for most of the vitamins included, as well as 3,000 mcg of biotin. Minerals include phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, and manganese.
In addition to the vitamins and minerals, Nature’s Bounty adds some other nutrients that have been associated with healthy hair growth. Inositol, as mentioned above, may help combat hormone-inspired hair loss or hair thinning. Horsetail extract is a great source of silica, which improves hair texture and reduces breakage. Collagen helps build hair proteins while strengthening the skin on the scalp to support healthy roots.
Reviewers note that this product works, creating results in hair growth, nail growth, and even eyelash growth!
Nature’s Bounty Hair, Skin, & Nails Key Features:
- All the hair-healthy nutrients you want for a reasonable price
- Good source of vitamins A, B, C, D, and E
- Includes additional ingredients that help improve hair texture and reduce breakage
- Nourishes the skin and nails, too
Best Women’s Hair Growth Vitamins: BioSchwartz Hair Growth Supplement
Though both of the above formulas will work for women as well as men, women seeking a formula made specifically for their needs may want to try the BioSchwartz Hair Growth Supplement. This product was developed specifically for women to help promote luxurious hair and fast growth. Ingredients like vitamins A, C, and D help moisturize the scalp and reduce hair breakage while 5,000 mcg of biotin facilitate hair growth.
BioSchwartz also includes a proprietary beauty blend consisting of horsetail extract, aloe vera, and amla fruit, which is said to help activate hair growth and strengthen the hair. Amla is also associated with glowing skin. In traditional Indian medicine, amla is best known as the “anti-aging fruit.”
But that’s not all. This product also includes MSM, which strengthens hair, and cysteine, which is an amino acid that can help protect hair from damage while reducing frizz. Reviewers say the product helps counteract the effects of harsh hair treatments, improves the texture of hair, and increases hair growth, while simultaneously creating stronger nails.
BioSchwartz Hair Growth Supplement Key Features:
- Formulated specifically for women
- Includes a proprietary blend to encourage shiny, lustrous hair
- Helps reduce hair damage and frizz
- Promotes healthy hair growth
- No GMOs, artificial ingredients, fillers, binders, preservatives, or chemicals
Best Men’s Hair Growth Vitamins: Propidren by HairGenics
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is considered the number-one factor in men’s hair loss. DHT is a naturally occurring by-product of the male hormone testosterone. It’s produced when an enzyme in the hair follicle’s oil glands convert testosterone to DHT. This process happens in both men and women, but since men have more testosterone than women too, the effects can be more pronounced in men.
As DHT builds up in the hair follicle, it shrinks those follicles and causes the hair strands to reproduce at a slower rate. Hair becomes thinner, more fragile, and sometimes lighter, and gradually the follicle dies.
Propidren by HairGenics includes DHT-blockers meant to battle DHT’s destructive effect on hair. Saw palmetto, for instance, is essential to blocking the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT. Beta-sitosterol is another plant-based ingredient found in nuts and avocados that may help block DHT, while pygeum bark extract has long been used to treat enlarged prostate because of its DHT-blocking ability.
Propidren also includes biotin and zinc, plus some extra ingredients you don’t find in most hair growth formulas. Nettle extract, for instance, is included to help reduce inflammation and promote healthy hair. Green tea extract may also help increase hair growth activity.
Propidren by HairGenics Key Features:
- Formulated specifically for men
- Includes several natural DHT-blocking ingredients
- Additional ingredients like nettle and green tea promote healthy hair
- Unique formula unlike most others
- Reviewers rave about how well it works
Who Should Buy Hair Growth Vitamins
The question most people have is, “Will hair growth vitamins work for me?” There are a few things to consider to determine the answer to that question.
First, what is causing your hair loss? If you think it may be hereditary because your mom or dad had a similar pattern of hair loss, your genes are probably behind it. This is a more difficult type of hair loss to address with supplements, as they normally can’t affect your genes.
There is some evidence, however, that herbal supplements (like saw palmetto) may help block dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the hormone by-product that can lead to genetic hair loss. Supplements that include DHT-blocking ingredients may be worth a try.
If you feel your hair loss may be tied to stress, trauma, poor diet, or even hormonal changes, supplements may be even more likely to help. It could be that you’re not getting the nutrients you need in your daily diet to support healthy hair growth. Your body may be pumping out a lot of stress hormones that are negatively affecting your hair, and supplements could help calm the body down.
If you think you may have medical conditions affecting your hair, talk to your doctor. Treating thyroid problems, for example, could help improve your hair’s appearance. Some medications for depression, heart disease, arthritis, and cancer can also cause hair loss as a side effect, so changing medications may help.
If you’re looking for an even better chance at improving your hair loss and thinning, then you may want to try The Best Shampoos For Thinning Hair.
Important Features to Consider
When shopping for hair growth vitamins, consider the following features:
- The vitamin and mineral ingredients. What is in the formula? Look beyond the hype on the front of the label and turn the bottle around to read the ingredient list. Typical “hair-friendly” vitamins and minerals include vitamins D, A, C, and E, along with zinc, biotin (a form of vitamin B), folic acid, and niacin. These nutrients help keep the scalp moisturized and nourished, reduce hair breakage, strengthen the hair strand, improve collagen production, stimulate cell growth, combat inflammation, and discourage dandruff.
- The herbal ingredients. In addition to the vitamins and minerals your hair needs, many hair-growth supplements provide herbal extracts that may help encourage healthy hair. Saw palmetto, for instance, is believed to block the enzyme that turns testosterone into DHT—the hormone by-product that causes genetic hair loss. Formulas that include this ingredient may be best for those seeing DHT-triggered hair loss. Some formulas include ashwagandha, a known stress-relieving herb that may help your body better adapt to any stressful periods you may be going through, thereby protecting your hair. Other herbs that may protect against hair loss include ginseng, ginkgo Biloba, rosemary, horsetail, burdock, and peppermint, among others.
- Fatty acids. Many hair-growth formulas include fatty acids, which help prevent inflammation and dandruff and stimulate the follicles to thicken and strengthen hair. Options include fish oil and flaxseed oil, among others.
- Form of delivery. How are the nutrients delivered? Most hair growth vitamins come in capsules or gummies, but some also come in tablets, tinctures, and powders. Choose the form that you think will work best for you and that you’ll be able to consume easily.
- Cost. It typically takes several months to see any results from taking hair growth supplements. That means the costs can add up quickly. At the same time, if you want to get an effective formula, you may have to pay a bit more for quality ingredients. When deciding on which supplement to purchase, weigh these two considerations against your desire for hair growth and your belief that the supplements may help.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do hair growth vitamins work?
The answer to this question: It all depends on what’s causing your hair loss. Are you struggling to get the nutrients you need in your daily diet? If so, these supplements may make a difference.
We do have studies showing that some nutritional deficiencies are linked to hair loss. If you’re not getting enough vitamin A, for instance, you may notice hair loss. Studies have also linked deficiencies in biotin, a B-vitamin, with hair loss and low levels of vitamin D to alopecia, a type of hair loss. Recent surveys show that many Americans aren’t getting enough vitamin D.
If you’re going through a stressful time in your life or recently suffered a trauma that initiated your hair loss, supplements can help, particularly those that include calming herbs and extracts. These supplements can help counteract the negative effects that the stress is having on your body while stimulating new hair growth.
Age-related hair loss that’s related to a drop in collagen or other nutrients may also respond well to hair growth supplements. There is even some evidence that saw palmetto might help slow male-pattern and female-pattern baldness, though the effects are likely to be small.
How long to hair vitamins take to work?
You are unlikely to see immediate results from taking hair-growth vitamins. It takes time for hair to grow, and time for the nutrients in your supplement to affect your body.
In general, it’s best to wait at least a month before judging your supplement for its effectiveness. Some people have noticed a difference, though, in as little as 2-3 weeks. It all depends on what’s causing your hair loss, what supplement you’re using, and your hair’s current condition.
Does biotin thicken hair?
Biotin was the most popular hair-growth vitamin a few years ago, but it has lost ground in the last few years. We know that a biotin deficiency can lead to hair thinning, which is why taking biotin supplements may help. But studies so far show that this nutrient is effective only in people who aren’t getting enough of it. If you’re eating a regular healthy diet, you are probably not deficient in biotin and may not see results from taking it.
Biotin also does not treat male-pattern or female-pattern baldness.
How can I increase my hair growth?
In addition to trying supplements, you can try these tips to help stimulate hair growth:
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet.
- Regularly massage your scalp and hair.
- Brush and style your hair gently—try not to pull on it.
- Skip the shampooing when you can—it strips the natural oils from the hair.
- Rinse with cool water. It helps prevent moisture loss.
- Always condition your hair after shampooing. It helps replace moisture and proteins and defends against hair damage.
- Use deep conditioners once a week or so to help repair damage and infuse moisture.
- Use heat-based styling tools sparingly.
- Dry with a thin microfiber hair towel—it reduces breakage.
- Avoid elastic hair ties. Use claw clips or larger pins instead.
Other Hair Growth Vitamins We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other hair growth vitamins. Even though they didn’t make our top five hair growth vitamins list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for supporting your body’s ability to grow healthy, strong hair. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- General Hair Growth Vitamins
- Hair Growth Gummies
- Hair Growth Vitamins for Women
- Hair Growth Vitamins for Men
General Hair Growth Vitamins
Suitable for both women and men, this supplement is designed to promote longer, stronger, and thicker hair while preventing hair thinning and loss.
- Formulated with 11 essential hair-health ingredients
- Includes 7 exclusive hair superfoods improve hair growth and texture
- Also includes essential fatty acids and proteins
Cost: $25 for 30 capsules
This formula addresses the vitamin deficiencies that could cause hair loss or lack of regrowth. Perfect for all hair types in both men and women.
- Works for both men and women
- 11 healthy-hair nutrients in every serving, including 5,000 mg biotin
- Vegan and gluten-free; manufactured in the USA
Cost: $30 for 60 capsules
Scientifically formulated with biotin, keratin, bamboo, and more, this supplement helps promote fuller, faster-growing hair. Expect to see results in about 3-4 weeks.
- Scientifically formulated with hair-healthy ingredients
- Includes collagen, bamboo, MSM, and keratin
- Tested in a Utah lab
Cost: $22 for 60 capsules
If your hair is looking aged and dull, you may want to try this supplement. It’s designed to promote shininess and brightness as well as improved growth and fullness.
- Helps promote shiny hair
- Includes keratin and a potent form of vitamin E
- Doctor-formulated for both women and men
Cost: $29 for 60 capsules
Like Kerotin’s hair growth gummies (below), Kerotin’s hair growth capsules help grow strong, thick hair. This formula includes saw palmetto to help counteract hair-loss hormones.
- Helps delay hormone-driven hair loss
- Also includes ingredients to help improve skin suppleness
- Includes 16 scientifically dosed ingredients
Cost: $34 for 60 capsules
We list this brand in our gummy section too. This formula comes in capsules and includes MSM, horsetail extract, and pea protein to help strengthen hair.
- A unique blend of bioactive vitamins, minerals, and nutrients
- Exclusive Capilsana complex provides the hair with naturally occurring building blocks
- Suitable for women and men
Cost: $23 for 60 capsules
Enjoy hair nourishment from within with this signature formula targeting hair loss, thinning, breakage, and damage. Includes vitamins, MSM, bamboo extract, keratin, and collagen.
- Helps bring your hair back to life
- Includes hair nutrients like bamboo extract, keratin, and collagen
- Made in the USA and tested in an independent lab
Cost: $22 for 60 capsules
Naturally promote faster hair growth and stronger, healthier hair with biotin, vitamins, and minerals that revitalize from the inside out.
- Strengthens hair from the inside out
- A true multivitamin for your hair
- Free of fillers, binders, and artificial ingredients
Cost: $30 for 60 capsules
Get gorgeous hair growth faster with this quality supplement. The all-natural formula restores volume and fullness with saw palmetto, biotin, horsetail extract, collagen, zinc, and more.
- Whole-body nutrition for longer, stronger hair
- Includes saw palmetto, horsetail extract, collagen, and MSM
- Non-GMO and gluten-free
Cost: $35 for 60 capsules
This hair-growth formula gives you a potent blend of biotin and other B-vitamins needed to prevent hair loss. Also promotes healthy skin and nails.
- Provides a potent blend of biotin and other B-vitamins
- Includes several additional ingredients like MSM, bamboo extract, keratin, and more
- Made in the USA with a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee
Cost: $25 for 60 capsules
Recommended for thinning and weak hair or for those struggling with balding and receding hair. Includes a high-potency proprietary blend with over 20 fast-absorbing ingredients.
- Includes biotin, horsetail extract, and saw palmetto to promote natural hair growth
- Vegetarian formulated and allergy-free
- Made in the USA with a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee
Hair Growth Gummies
Enjoy a tasty berry flavor in these gummies. They deliver biotin, vitamins C and E, zinc, and more to help promote scalp moisturization and stronger hair growth.
- Tasty berry flavor
- Provides biotin, several vitamins, and zinc to help grow hair
- Vegetarian and gluten-free
Cost: $11 for 60 gummies
A multi-vitamin supplement meant to support healthy hair growth, this formula also supports healthy skin and nails.
- Berry-flavored gummies
- Designed to encourage shiny, stronger hair
- Made in the USA and tested in independent labs
Cost: $20 for 60 gummies
Boost hair growth and improve hair health with this perfect combination of vitamins and minerals. Contains up to 33 percent less sugar than other gummies.
- Balanced biotin content to help avoid acne breakouts
- Stimulates hair growth while maintaining healthy skin and nails
- Made in the USA
Cost: $27 for 60 gummies
This supplement has the usual vitamin mix plus biotin, but also includes horsetail and choline to help promote healthy and strong hair.
- Adds horsetail and choline to help promote healthy hair
- Sweet tasting gummies with a natural cherry flavoring
- Works for all hair types
Hair Growth Vitamins for Women
This hair-growth supplement improves hair growth by targeting the multiple root causes of thinning, including stress and nutrition. Formulated specifically for women.
- Tailored to women experiencing hair thinning due to stress and dieting
- Winner of “Allure’s” 2018 Best of Beauty Breakthrough Award
- Includes a unique blend of herbs and extracts to support hair growth
Cost: $88 for 120 capsules
Packed with ingredients known to help with hair growing and strengthening, this supplement is also great for hair maintenance over time. Includes zinc, bamboo leaf extract, hydrolyzed keratin, and ginkgo Biloba.
- Encourages faster hair growth while reducing hair fallout
- Includes bamboo leaf extract, keratin, and ginkgo Biloba
- Also supports glowing skin and strong nails
Cost: $20 for 60 capsules
If you want a certified organic hair supplement, this one is for you. It contains the standard hair-growth vitamins like biotin and vitamin E, but it also has a certified organic food blend to help fight back against free-radical damage.
- USDA certified organic formula
- Supports healthy hair, skin, and nails with biotin and vitamin E
- Contains a certified organic food blend to add additional antioxidant protection
Hair Growth Vitamins for Men
For men wanting support for hair growth on their heads and their faces, this formula is ideal. Made to promote hair and beard growth, it includes biotin, keratin, collagen, zinc, and more.
- Designed to help promote hair and beard growth
- Includes keratin, collagen, horsetail extract, and bamboo extract
- Manufactured in the USA
Cost: $27 for 60 capsules
Like Nutrafol’s formula for women, this supplement is designed to help target the causes of hair loss in men, including stress and hormones. The clinically tested ingredients are said to help overall wellness, including improved sex drive.
- Designed specifically for men’s wellness
- Two-time “Esquire” Grooming award winner
- Includes a unique blend of extracts and herbs to block hair loss
Cost: $88 for 120 capsules