One of the biggest challenges in a person’s life is changing the things you aren’t happy with – your hair is one of those challenges, to be sure. You may struggle to change the more stubborn hair, and that may mean more work that you’re willing to put into it – but sometimes it’s as easy as regular use of a quality coconut oil hair mask. If you’re not sure which one is right for your hair, then let us take the pressure off. We’ve done all the research for you!
We reviewed dozens of coconut oil hair masks to identify the best of the best. We looked at conditioning hair masks to improve your hair’s hydration and leave-in hair masks that will give you long-lasting benefits over time. We found the intense treatments for maximum effect and the gentle ones for delicate performance.
For the beginning of our research, it was clear there was only one choice for our best overall coconut oil hair mask. The Coco & Eve Like a Virgin Hair Masque stands out among its coconut oil hair mask peers as the stand-out product. With a formula designed to feel light, you can wear this in your hair to smooth frizz and by hydrating so effectively, you’ll notice long-lasting effects, as well.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Coconut Oil Hair Masks
|Best Coconut Oil Hair Mask Overall||Coco & Eve Like a Virgin Hair Masque||4.4|
|Best Organic Coconut Oil Hair Mask||Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil||4.7|
|Best Budget Coconut Oil Hair Mask||Maui Moisture Heal & Hydrate||4.3|
|Best Coconut Oil Hair Mask with Keratin||Revicare Beauty Keratin Treatment with Coconut Oil||4.8|
|Best Coconut Oil Hair Mask for Curly Hair||Carol's Daughter Coco Creme Curl Quenching Deep Moisture Hair Mask||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Coconut Oil Hair Mask Overall: Coco & Eve Like a Virgin Hair Masque
The Coco & Eve Like a Virgin Hair Masque is perfect for your dry and damaged hair. If you’ve put your hair through the wringer with treatments, dyes, and heat for years or even decades, this is going to add life to your hair as you’ve never seen. You’ll notice a sheen right away and over time, you’ll see softer hair with fewer split ends and improved growth speed, as well. Say goodbye to frizz and hello to a smooth, glossy hair that you’ll be better able to style and will give you far fewer bad hair days.
There are over 2,000 customer reviews on Amazon and when you have that many people offering feedback, you can rely on the accuracy of the rating. For a rating that’s 4.4 stars, that’s nothing but good news!
Coco & Eve Like a Virgin Hair Masque Key Features:
- Includes 2-tiered tangle tamer brush
- 100% vegan; sulfate, paraben, and phthalate-free
- 7.2 fl oz
Best Organic Coconut Oil Hair Mask: Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
The Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil isn’t listed specifically as a hair mask and that’s actually a good thing! It means that you’ll get a much better sense of the standard this manufacture has held it’s coconut oil to and, in this case, that will serve to tempt you even further. While it’s not going to have any of the extra ingredients you may love in your hair, it will give you the maximum benefit of pure, untampered coconut oil. And you’ll see just how well it interacts with your hair. So get ready to see the softest, healthiest hair you’ve ever had!
Not only is this a pure, extra virgin coconut oil, but it’s also organic, so you can trust that it’s made with only the best – no pesticides or hormones or genetic modification were used in the growth of this coconut oil and while that may or may not have a huge impact on your hair, it’s nice to know exactly what you’re putting in it, regardless.
There are no two ways about it, this hair mask has really impressive numbers – over 20,000 customer reviews have earned this an overall rating of 4.7 stars on Amazon. Granted those aren’t all people who use this as a hair mask, but it will still indicate the quality as high.
Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Key Features:
- Liquid or solid options
- Processed without use of heat, hexanes, or harmful chemicals
- 16 oz container
Best Budget Coconut Oil Hair Mask: Maui Moisture Heal & Hydrate
The Maui Moisture Heal & Hydrate uses a combination of several ingredients to give your hair the hydration it needs and a sheen you’ll love. Though the first ingredients may not be coconut oil, it is aloe vera, which is well-known for providing moisture, and the same will work on your hair. It will work in conjunction with the coconut oil,, as well as shea butter and academia oil to give long-lasting hydration that will leave your hair soft and smooth.
You’ll also get an all-day kind of protection by leaving the hair mask in and styling after it’s been worked through each strand of your hair. You’ll see less damage from the heat and sun, as well as building the strength of your hair if you style it in any kind of straining way.
You’ll love the numbers on this hair mask. Not only does it have an overall rating of 4.3 stars on Amazon, earned by over 1,200 customer reviews, but it also won’t break the bank! You can pick this coconut hair mask up for under $7!
Maui Moisture Heal & Hydrate Key Features:
- 6 complementing products available
- Vegan; no sulfates, parabens, or silicones
- 12 oz container
Best Coconut Oil Hair Mask with Keratin: Revicare Beauty Keratin Treatment with Coconut Oil
The Revicare Beauty Keratin Treatment with Coconut Oil will work for your hair, no matter what type it is; however, this is incredibly helpful for dry or damaged hair that needs repair. You’ll use this as a treatment by applying to your wet, freshly shampooed hair and allowing it to sit for five to ten minutes before rinsing out with warm water. After you’ve rinsed the mask out, you’ll style as usual, but your hair will be lusher from the first treatment.
The keratin within this hair mask will restore your hair’s strength and prevent future breakages. It repairs the very structure of your hair to build your hair back to the best of its potential. You’ll notice fewer split ends and that act alone would help your hair’s length and the speed of growth. – But with the coconut oil, this hair mask can make all the difference in your hair. Stronger hair that grows faster is certainly something we can get behind and after regular use, you’ll see a big improvement in your hair’s overall health.
With over 400 customer reviews and an overall rating of 4.8 stars on Amazon, there’s more than a good chance you’d be satisfied with this purchase. After all, 96% of customers left positive feedback and that speaks volumes on quality.
Revicare Beauty Keratin Treatment with Coconut Oil Key Features:
- Sodium chloride, and paraben-free
- 8 oz container
- Split end and cuticle repair as well as hair hydration
Best Coconut Oil Hair Mask for Curly Hair: Carol’s Daughter Coco Creme Curl Quenching Deep Moisture Hair Mask
The Carol’s Daughter Coco Creme Curl Quenching Deep Moisture Hair Mask is the ideal product for anyone with curly hair. Though it’s not an absolute, it is certainly common that curly hair is often dry and damaged. After all, it take s a lot of effort and product to tame those wild curls and over time, that means you’re going to need a big impact with your hair mask. Luckily you get that with this one. Just scoop the product onto your wet curls, pop on a cap, and let it sit for ten to fifteen minutes. Rinse and style as usual for stronger, softer, and shinier hair.
There aren’t often a lot of options that take curls into consideration in the hair masks. This hair mask makes sure to make allowances for your curls and select ingredients specially formulated to bond your curls together and define them without stripping them of their hydration or weighing them down.
On Amazon, this listing is well-received and well-reviewed. Sitting with nearly 650 customer reviews, it has an overall rating of 4.4 stars and that’s definitely going to build your confidence in the product.
Carol’s Daughter Coco Creme Curl Quenching Deep Moisture Hair Mask Key Features:
- 12 fl oz
- Made in Brooklyn, USA
- Includes coconut oil, mango butter, and murumuru
Who Should Buy a Coconut Oil Hair Mask
If you have dry hair that is in desperate need of revitalization, you could use a coconut oil mask in order to achieve the desired look and restore its healthy strength. It will make sure your hair is hydrated and lush, that it shines without looking greasy and your frizz is all but eliminated. A coconut mask can restore the lush vibrance you used to have in your hair and that in and of itself is a huge improvement in anyone’s appearance.
Coconut oil may also have the added benefit of speeding up the growth of your hair, as well. While that’s great for anyone who wants to grow their hair faster, it’s particularly appealing if you’ve gotten a bad haircut or you are struggling with thin hair or hair loss. Your hair is beautiful – but sometimes you may want the boost that a hair mask can give, and if you’re looking for longer hair, faster – then you’ll want to take a close look at coconut oil.
If part of the treatment requires you to dry your hair, you should make sure you have one of The Best Hair Dryers. Conversely, if you have particularly oily hair, you may want to check out The Best Shampoos For Oily Hair.
Important Features to Consider
A coconut oil hair mask should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting a coconut oil hair mask:
- Fractionated coconut oil. Fractionated coconut oil is coconut oil that’s been distilled to separate the fatty acids and allow it to stay liquid at room temperature. It’s also more easily absorbed and less likely to clog pores of the skin and weight down your hair follicles. The process of fractionating the oil also extends the shelf life of the nutrients in the oil. This all explains why a lot of hair coconut oils are made with fractionated rather than virgin coconut oil. That does make it more processed and the extra step does break down some of the lauric acid – which is big if you use coconut oil for its antibacterial properties. It’s not crucial to a hair mask, though and the trade-off of having an oil that stays liquid is likely a much higher priority for hair.
- Hair Regrowth. Coconut oil will get deep into your hair’s follicles to strengthen each strand from the root out. This strengthening will prevent breakage and make your hair appear thicker. It can also prevent the sebum build-up often seen on the scalp; that sebum will clog follicles and stunt hair growth. It can also promote the production of yeast, leading to dandruff and an overall unhealthy scalp. A coconut oil mask can prevent that from ever happening, rid you of what you already have, and make a world of difference in both the speed in which your hair grows and how much it grows. If you didn’t know this was a problem and introduce coconut oil int your hair, there’s a chance your hair will grow longer than ever before after a few treatments.
- Keratin. Keratin is an excellent ingredient to boost the effectiveness of your coconut oil hair mask. A lot of the potential benefits of coconut oil are also listed benefits of keratin, as well. Both are excellent for taming wild hair and if you have curls or frizz, you’ll appreciate the tag-team they create to tackle the mess of hair that won’t cooperate. The keratine will smooth your hair at the cuticles, making sure that it lies exactly the way you want, and the coconut oil will keep it healthy and growing fast.
- Treatment vs. conditioning. With conditioning you rinse out within ten minutes, treatments you’ll get out of the shower and massage into your hair thoroughly. The treatment you leave in typically 20 minutes but some overnight. But you DO rinse out. The treatments are going to give more intense concentrations of coconut oil, but you can only do them so often without over-doing it. Conditioners will be safe to use far more often and are great for protecting your hair from day-to-day damage.
- Protection. Protection of your hair against heat and damage will come from several coconut oil hair masks, but particularly the leave-in hair masks that you’ll put in your hair and allow it to work over time. You can find a lot of leave-in conditioners that will protect your hair from sun damage or possibly heat damage, but most leave-in hair masks will offer an everyday kind of wear-and-tear maintenance to keep your hair healthy. You may not notice a dramatic difference, but the damage prevented is impressive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is coconut oil a good hair mask?
Yes, coconut oil is an excellent hair mask for you. You’ll notice a lot of hair masks, even those that aren’t advertised as a “coconut oil” hair mask, will still contain coconut oil. That’s because the coconut oil is an excellent source of hydration for your hair. It smooths the hair and promotes hair growth, giving you the added bonus of faster-growing hair that really shines.
However, you should bear in mind that you need to follow the instructions and not use too much too often. If you just keep your hair coated in a thick virgin coconut oil, it may have the opposite effect of your intention. Too much of a good thing, in this situation, is bad. It can cause a build-up of proteins and actually create a barrier that moisture cannot penetrate.
How do you use coconut oil as a hair mask?
You can use coconut oil as a hair mask by simply buying a container of coconut oil and liquefy it if it’s solid. You’ll combine it with one of a few possible ingredients – the most common is probably apple cider vinegar, but possibly avocado, aloe, or another oil, depending on your goal. You blend the ingredients and apply the mask to your hair, from the scalp to the tips of your hair. You’ll massage into your scalp to rid your head of the excess sebum, then cover with a towel and let it set for roughly twenty minutes.
Of course, that’s the hard way. The easy way is to buy a coconut oil hair mask that’s already mixed and made with the intention of going on your hair. If you do that, then the application will have instructions and it will require no extra work on your part.
Can coconut oil ruin your hair?
Not if used properly. Coconut oil is an excellent hair strengthener and protector – however, as we’ve mentioned, you have to adhere to the times included in the instructions. You can’t use a hair mask treatment every day, or the proteins in the hair mask will weight your hair down and eventually dry it out by preventing anything past it to be absorbed. Follow the instructions, however, and the hair mask can genuinely help your hair’s overall health.
If you’re worried, though, about the long term effects, don’t be. You can fix your hair, even if you’ve dried it out by overusing coconut oil.
Which oil is best for hair growth?
Coconut oil is pretty close to unanimously the best for hair regrowth. It will strengthen your hair to prevent breakage as well as rid your scalp of the sebums that stunt the growth. However, other oils can help as well, so if you want to find a hair mask with a combination of these ingredients, that’s probably all the better. Also be on the lookout for the following: argan oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, and castor oil.
Other Coconut Oil Hair Masks We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other coconut oil hair masks. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best coconut oil hair masks list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your hair. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Conditioning Coconut Oil Hair Masks
- Hair and Body Coconut Oil Hair Masks
- Leave-In Coconut Oil Hair Masks
- Coconut Oil Hair Mask Treatments
Conditioning Coconut Oil Hair Masks
This hair mask provides a deep moisturization that will repair the damage caused by years of wear.
- 15 oz
- Apply for 3-5 minutes and rinse
- Paraben and sulfate-free
Not only will the coconut mask restore your hair’s sheen, but it will also prevent and repair your scalp’s dandruff condition, as well.
- 7.6 fl oz
- long-lasting scalp relief
- Paraben, sulfate, and dye-free
This hair mask will allow you to give your hair the kind of intense moisture and deep conditioning to make it shine like never before.
- 8.8 fl oz
- Made in USA
This coconut oil hair mask will give your hair the boost of nutrients to make it vibrant – and it does so with 100% natural ingredients.
- Includes Vitamin E, shea butter, and rosehip seed oil
- Eliminates dandruff
- 8 fl oz
Hair and Body Coconut Oil Hair Masks
This coconut oil will work to hydrate your hair and skin making sure you’re body and hair are healthy and soft.
- 100% organic
- 2 packaging options
- 4 sizes available
Infused with Vitamin E, this coconut oil product will make sure your hair and skin look as healthy and supple as possible.
- Made with responsibly sourced ingredients
- 16.9 fl oz
- Body moisturizer or hair mask
Leave-In Coconut Oil Hair Masks
With the coconut oil and butter, you’re going to see a big improvement in any frizz that you may have to contend with otherwise.
- Entire haircare product line listed
- Smooths frizz and flyaways
- 9 size and packaging options
You can detangle your hair and repair it all while conditioning it over time.
- Detangles and repairs
- 8.4 fl oz
- Sulfate, paraben, and phthalate-free
This coconut oil hair mask will repair damage over time and protect it from further damage, giving you the hair you’ve always wanted.
- 6 oz container
- Argan oil also available
This coconut oil is a hydrating mask that stays in your hair and works overtime without weighing it down and leaving it feeling greasy.
- 4 fl oz
- Lightweight – won’t weigh hair down
- Spray on hair and style
You’ll love the nutrients and lush effect that you’ll get by leaving this coconut oil hair mask in your hair.
- Made in USA
- 8.5 fl oz
This leave-in coconut oil hair mask will condition your hair with a whipped, light consistency that gives your hair the hydration and nutrients it needs.
- 15 fl oz
- Paraben, sulfate, dye, gluten, and phthalate-free
- Apply to clean hair and style as usual
You’ll be able to notice the difference in your hair nearly immediately with this coconut oil hair mask that will strengthen and restore as you go about your day.
- Includes castor oil, and shea butter
- Made in USA
- Paraben, sulfate, phthalate, mineral oil, and cruelty-free
Spraying in this hair mask will hydrate with 100% virgin coconut oil to treat your hair to the nutrients it needs.
- 8 fl oz
- Spray and style
- No sulfates, paraben, or mineral oil
Coconut Oil Hair Mask Treatments
This coconut oil hair mask is infused with argan oil to boost its hydration and provide intense repair for your damaged hair.
- Made in the USA
- Includes rosehip pol and shea butter
- 16.9 fl oz
This coconut oil hair mask treatment will smooth the texture of your hair, hydrate it, and it works for all hair types.
- Hydrates, repairs, and replenishes
- For all hair types
- 10 oz
This coconut oil hair treatment will repair your damaged hair without sulfates and with Vitamin E and Shea Butter.
- 8.8 fl oz
- Uses argan oil, shea butter, and Vitamin E
This coconut oil hair mask treatment will utilize the coconut oil to speed up your hair’s growth and the keratin will act to strengthen it.
- 7.6 fl oz
- Paraben, SLS, and cruelty-free
- Works on all hair types
This treatment uses its coconut oil, coconut milk, and shea butter to rehydrate and protect your hair from damage.
- Sulfate, phthalate, mineral oil, paraben, and cruelty-free
- Apply after shampooing and style
- 12 oz container
This treatment is a hot oil hair mask with 100% virgin coconut oil to make your hair stronger, thicker, and more lustrous than ever.
- 2 packaging options available
- 1.5 oz per treatment
- Vegan; no silicone, parabens, phthalates, or gluten